Author Topic: 8 month old now waking  (Read 839 times)

Offline lisaradlov

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 05, 2016, 16:57:07 pm »
Hi all I am new to this forum and to EASY.  I started with another method, but before I even finished the book my baby arrived (she was 7.5 weeks early eek).  At around 3 months I started her on a great schedule and she was sleeping through the night.  I am going to admit I was rather smug about this.  Now I am at 8 months we are on solids and she is teething and growing at an amazing speed, things are changing. I am now trying out the EASY method and switching to the baby whisperer as I believe the other way is a little to strict and some of the methods are totally unrealistic. My daughter is also now wildly alert so things like having family visit or knowing daddy is home make her want to stay up later then usual.  She has started for the last week being so exhausted around her bed time 7.30 pm that she literally is crying because we can't get her to bed fast enough, I get her to bed and then she wakes up an hour later and wants to play.  I will be trying PU/PD method tonight.  She also will only let me put her to bed, even though she loves daddy, she literralyy will not take the bed time bottle from him.  She gets hysterical so I end up taking over. I should also mention that she has a slight heart condition so I worry about her getting too hysterical, pls God it has been and will continue to be fine but we are definitely cautious of it.  Once I get her to sleep she wakes up and hour later.  Then I have to do the whole routine again a couple of hours later.  By 9.30 pm she is asleep having had another bedtime bottle, I have spent the whole night putting her to bed and am now exhausted.  Then the last week she has been waking up a couple of times during the night. I tried comforting her and that ends up not working, she screams louder wakes up the whole house so I end up giving her another bottle.  She goes back to sleep.  Sometimes I know her waking is naturally hunger because she is growing so much, sometimes it is just teething because sometimes she is literraly crying in her sleep, if it is the later i give her teething gel.  She is always really good about going back to sleep.  I haven't read the whole baby whisperer book yet (lack of time) but am doing so.  My other problem is that I used to be able to put her in bed awake and she would soothe herself to sleep.  Now she is dependent on the bottle.  She has really bad reflux and if I put her in bed to seth soothe she rolls around like she's at the gym, throws up and we have o do the whole bed change thing sometimes a couple of times a night.  HELLLLPPPPPPP we have got totally out of whack!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 12:21:04 pm by jessmum46 »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 8 month old now waking
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 12:27:11 pm »
Hi there, nice to 'meet' you and welcome to the forums!

Could you please post her routine for us?  I wonder if she may need some adjustments to it which may help her to settle more easily again.

You mentioned that she has reflux - is she medicated for it and are her symptoms under control?  PUPD isn't really recommended for refluxers as it can aggravate the condition so it may be we need to help you find another way of doing things instead.  You also mentioned her heart - what sort of problem does she have with it (obviously not something you need to share if you prefer not to)?  Just wouldn't want to recommend any sort of sleep training if it may not be safe for her....have you discussed your worries about her getting upset with your doctor?  PUPD does tend to involve crying so again this may not be the most suitable way for you to tackle things.

How much milk does she typically take in daytime hours right now, and how much at night?