Author Topic: Paci problem! Night wakings increasing-6mo  (Read 1054 times)

Offline braydonjames

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Paci problem! Night wakings increasing-6mo
« on: September 13, 2016, 08:39:29 am »
My DS used to sleep through the night 7-7, but now is waking a lot, last night 9 times! But only for the paci, he happily goes back to sleep once it's put back in. He's fully swaddled and happy like that, fully FF. He's on a confident 4hrly routine as Tracey's book has been my 'go to'. Started solids a month ago. I think it's the dependence on paci? So reluctant to unswaddle as I have tried it several times since this started a few weeks ago in his nap times and they only made the naps shorter and more difficult to get him to resettle. He hasn't got the fine motor skills to put paci back in. Only has paci in cot. Thoughts please wise counsels?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Paci problem! Night wakings increasing-6mo
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 05:56:08 am »
Is he on a standard 4h EASY with 2h awake times? Could you post his routine?  A 4h EASY is usually appropriate at 4 months but by 6 months A times have usually increased and often babies are hitting the 3-2. Not saying it isn't the paci, but routine issues are also common at this age and it is worth checking :) also does he have a night feed?

Offline braydonjames

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 00:59:54 am »
Hi, thanks, no night feeds (stopped NF around 2months) yes he's on a 4h EASY routine:
wakes 6.30-7
E 7
A
S 9-9.30
Y
wakes 10-10.30
E 11
A
S 1-1.30
Y
wakes 2-3
E 3
A
S 4.30-5 catnap only if he wakes around 2 (he doesn't sleep if it's nearer 3pm)
Y
E 7
A
S 7-7.30
Y

Thank you so much and apologies for the delay-I'm going for surgery next week so had a lot on. Started unswaddling during day two days ago but is proving to make his naps 45min or so:(
Should I go cold turkey with both dummy and swaddling and grin and bear it? Or do one first?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 12:15:55 pm »
It might be the paci, though it could be that you are experiencing a bit of 3-2 routine silliness.  On catnap days that might be causing him to wake UT, and if he doesn't get the catnap and you don't compensate with EBT, he may be waking OT.  I would be tempted to try pushing his naps a bit later gradually (10 mins or so every few days) aiming to even up his day with 2 naps and drop the catnap.  A very textbook routine would be WU 7, naps at 10-11.30 and 2.30-4, with BT 7.  I would probably do that first and see if it solves the wakings, but if not the I would probably do the swaddle and paci all at once - no point in having to do it all twice!

Good luck for your surgery - I hope all is ok x