Author Topic: 18 mos refusing naps for grandma  (Read 887 times)

Offline jojo895

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 13, 2016, 17:11:03 pm »
Hello, our 18 month old is now fairly well adjusted to her single nap - except - she is fairly consistently refusing to nap when grandma takes care of her. Throughout the week she has a few different caregivers (grandma, dad, sitter) and naps well for dad and sitter. When grandma goes to put her in crib after stories, or even sometimes when they start up the stairs, baby starts crying and screaming.

What do we do? Do we need to tell grandma to put up with some crying and do PU/PD and wi/wo  until baby calms down and goes to sleep? We know she is tired and needs the sleep. I'm afraid she's learned if she really pitches a fit about nap then she'll get her way.

Please help!

Offline Flowery1106

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 16:56:57 pm »
How do your grandma normally react to your LO's needs?

I think it might be due to grandma being relatively permissive with your LO than other caregivers. So I'd suggest your grandma to be more firm and consistent when she disciplines your LO. Maybe give it a week and see if that helps. Obv this is just my assumption so tell us more about whether your grandma is different in any way with other caregivers.

Hth

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 18 mos refusing naps for grandma
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 20:09:35 pm »
Hi
It is hard when LOs sleep differently for different people. My 2 are with a few different caregivers and DD's  routine varies in every place she is in! Often not down to career doing anything differently or acting in any different way but just how DD responds to different environments.

Could you describe your LO's nap schedule and routine with grandma and other caregivers?

Is there anything grandma could do to establish a calming nap routine that might help your DD get ready for sleep when being looked after by her?

How is she responding to your DD not wanting to sleep and does this differ from how you or her sitter would respond?

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 22:50:15 pm »
My mum is a bit like this.  She doesn't like to leave the room and stays in there way to long. Then her first response is to pick LO up as soon as she stands up or makes a noise. She then won't put her down until she is settled which doesn't happen in arms anymore. Do you think something similar might be going on?

Or could it be due to environmental factors like curtains that let too much light in or a cot LO isn't used to?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline jojo895

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 23:06:20 pm »
Her routine is standard - a few books, a dark room, into the crib, and she's in our home everyday so the routine is similar for everyone. I think that sometimes she's put up a fuss and grandma has taken her out of the room just to see if she could get her to calm down. So now LO thinks if she fusses loud enough she won't have to nap.  Could someone tell me more about wi/wo? I've seen references but don't know much about it - I'm assuming it's like PU/PD for older babies.

In fact the last two nights I've even had trouble putting her down at night. Normally she goes right down in her crib and puts herself to sleep after about 20-30 mins. Last night, every time I calmed her down, rubbed back, said goodnight and left the room she would start crying again. After 45 mins husband rescued me and she went right down. It seems like we might be in need of some kind of mini-intervention....

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 05:19:40 am »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD