Author Topic: 8 month old still waking up at 5  (Read 922 times)

Offline LuluBaby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 10, 2016, 13:24:41 pm »
My LO will be 8 mo next week and is still waking up between 5-5:30 am! We thought we were passed that phase as she stopped for a couple weeks but is now back at it and room sharing with my 4 yr old who is now also being woken up :( what can I possibly do to help her sleep longer?! Her room is dark and here is her schedule.

Wake 5-5:30 (but we leave her until 6/6:30 where eventually her baby talk will turn into whining/crying)
6:30 BF 6:45 solids
7:00 we leave the house for daycare/work (sometimes she'll fall asleep for 20 min + or -)
8:30 Nap
10:00ish BF
11:30ish solids
1:00 BF then nap
2:45/3:00 wake up
4:00 BF
5:00 sometimes cat nap on way home (catnap or no catnap she still wakes up early as I've tried when we're home and doesn't take one)
6:00ish solids
6:30 bath, bedtime routine
In bed asleep by 7ish
She'll sleep all the way through until early morning.

She gets about 11oz of solids + or - and nurses 5 times a day

Help please! D:

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 8 month old still waking up at 5
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 13:18:52 pm »
I think that 8.30am nap is part of your issue - at this age a long nap that early can cause problems.  I would start to push that 10 mins later every few days aiming for 9.30/10 eventually.  That should have the knock-on effect of moving your second nap later, eliminating any chance of a catnap (I would make sure that is gone at this age) and also may mean you need to wake her from her second nap to preserve a sensible bedtime.  That would slightly reduce the amount of daytime sleep she is having too which may help :) 

e.g.

WU 6
nap 9.30-11
nap 2/2.30-3.30
BT 7

Have you tried getting her into bed just a touch earlier for now until WU time improves in case OT at bedtime from a long day is an issue?

Offline LuluBaby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 16:31:27 pm »
Thanks! I'll try that! Although she usually whines around 8:30 wanting to nap but I've noticed they're getting shorter and these last few days she only has slept 30/40min so I'm thinking she's not tir d enough!
Until we adjust to a later an nap, I'll try putting her to bed at little earlier than usually and see if that helps. Thank you so much for your time and advice!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 8 month old still waking up at 5
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 18:32:02 pm »
You're welcome :)  Often that tired whining can be habit, I bet if you distract her a bit with a change of scene she won't notice a few extra minutes xx