Author Topic: Help - Night Terror? Nightmare? Seizure? Anomoly???  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Okiemomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Help - Night Terror? Nightmare? Seizure? Anomoly???
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 14:35:00 pm »
Quick question jessmum46:  For a 3 year old without a nap, how long should their nights be?  What about with a nap?  If I was able to modify his nap time/length, what would the ideal schedule look like (using an 8:30 asleep time and working backwards)?  I may chat with his daycare about options, though it may go nowhere...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 14:36:31 pm by Okiemomma »

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 15:02:38 pm »
The length of day night depends on the child really with no nap. My DD had dropped her nap totally by 2.5 and woke about 6.30/7 and bedtime was 7/7.30. Some coped well with a 13 ish hour day and 11ish  hour night (give or take 30 mins or so) and some need a 12/12 day night.

It depends on the sleep needs of your LO, mine was always a high A time girl, she had dropped to 2 naps before 6 months and went to 1 nap cold turkey as soon as she hit 1, so dropping the nap by 2.5 was standard for her. We found her night sleep was sounder and better on no nap.

My son napped for longer but any more than 1.5 hours at that age robbed the night sleep,he would have slept longer but we made sure to wake him, We also couldn't let him sleep past 2.30pm.  I would say a 2hr+ nap is too long at this age if there are problems with night sleep.

Laura

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 15:03:33 pm »
Totally don't understand the daycare mentality about sleep over there!! Seems a common problem though. This link is helpful about sleep - Typical Amounts of Day and Night Sleep DD dropped her nap at 29 months and did 11.5-12h nights for a while, now (4y8m) she does 10.5-11h x

Offline Okiemomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 13:31:00 pm »
So, I tried to call the pediatrician last week but still haven't gotten a response.  I'll try again today.  But in the meantime, I started giving my son 1/2 of a Tums before bed, and we haven't been doing bedtime snacks at all.  He's fully sleeping through the night with no issues!  I don't want to do Tums every night but this is a good indicator to me that his issue might be reflux related.  A few illnesses are going around, and he's off and on seemed sick for a few weeks but never full-blown getting it, so maybe that is flaring up his reflux also.  Either way, I'm enjoying my good sleep for the time being!

On an unrelated note, my overtired son has been waking early for a really long time.  We have a few mornings where his body finally lets him catch up on sleep, and it's like he's in hibernation and sleeps til 7am.  But usually he's up by 5:15 or 5:30am.  Not too big of a deal because I get up around 5:30-6 to get ready for work, but it's making him a grumpy mess.  I rigged up a DIY version of the "gro clock" this weekend and used it last night for the first time.  I bought a regular outlet timer and a cute star lamp/nightlight.  I put the two together and told him when the star is on, he needs to stay in bed.  When the star is off, he can get out of bed.  He used it for nap yesterday and it worked great.  We used it again last night - and this morning he woke up crying (a sure sign of being overtired) at 5:15.  I watched him on the monitor - he looked at the star, readjusted his pillow and blanket, and fell asleep UNTIL 6:45AM!!!!!  It was awesome!!