Author Topic: Need help coming up with a sleep training plan for 14 month old  (Read 4514 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: Need help coming up with a sleep training plan for 14 month old
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2016, 15:05:18 pm »
Yep totally agree Katherine! But I thought poster said she was sleeping nicely and STTN at that moment just after dropping to one nap but I can be wrong. Will go through the posts later and check. However even with LSN she might be not and independent sleeper right now. If you know what I mean. If you have the right routine you can hope for independent settling. With OT or UT child you just have to help to settle, totally normal.
I am just a bit surprised because if the problem lies in lack of IS skills with a proper sleep training and a push/progress every couple of days /but some kiddos needed to be pushed as the progress isn't coming/ after 2/3 weeks it should be really over! That's why  I second what Shiv said that there is the case of wrong routine as with too early/too late BT, nothing will work properly.
~Marta

Offline albers30

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 03:14:16 am »
The best sleep we every had was right after we made the transition to 1 nap.  If was the first time since she was born that it wasn't a giant fight to get her to take a nap and to go to bed.  Nap time became independent at that point, I could lie her in her crib tell her it was nap time and walk out and she go to sleep after a little bit of babbling and nap well.  At bedtime we still had to stay in her room with her and generally pat her or something until she drifted off but it was much faster and with no fussing.  She would then sleep til 4 or 5 in the morning but at that time was difficult to resettle and that's when we gave in and started just throwing her in bed with us so we could get a few last hours of sleep before the twins got up.  We tried to work to independent sleep doing the same thing we're doing now but were never able to get there and then we started getting these 10/11pm wake ups with screaming fits if we didn't put her in our bed and that's when I decided we really needed to push the independent sleep thing and cut the night time coming to our bed.  We've tried earlier and later bedtimes and nap times before with no difference unless its an occasion where bedtime is super late because of an event or something then she will just pass out and sleep through the night or close to it. Doesn't the fact she can go to sleep independently at nap time mean she much have some independent sleep skills at least and that OT/UT might not be the main issue since you say the 1pm nap time is too late that she's OT but she still goes to sleep very well at nap time.  She is a very headstrong stubborn little girl who doesn't miss a thing and amazingly is challenging me way more then my twins ever did when it comes to sleep anyway.  What should I try next?

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 11:00:49 am »
If she goes to bed nicely if you put her to bed later, what about a later bedtime?

For comparison, mine is on a rough 12hr day with just a 40 minute nap. His choice, I'm following his lead. Hes 11.5 mo.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline albers30

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 03:12:55 am »
Its nice to know theres another little one who needs much less sleep then expected for their age and that they seem to be doing well.  Gives me hope we'll work this out.  We're going to toy with bedtimes a little to see if we can find a time that seems to make a significant difference in her issues since I don't know what else to try.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 08:30:25 am »
My first is LSN too, but in a different way (longer naps, shorter nights). I learned to roll with it when he was little, but he never fought sleep quite as badly as this one. He's one determined little boy!

Offline albers30

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 14:53:48 pm »
There's part of me that thinks that would be her best schedule too but I struggle because I get so many people telling me she needs more sleep and that would make it all better but then others say less sleep is ok and thats what in my gut feels right.  Maybe my expectations are too high too.  With my twins by 10 months I could put them in their cribs read a few books and theyd go to sleep on their own but my third has required so much hands on effort to get to sleep since birth and still does.  Maybe that's not too far from the norm and I shouldn't be expecting her to be as easy to put to bed as my others were.  I just want to help her get the best sleep possilbe and nix any bad habits before they continue to get worse.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 16:26:09 pm »
Me too! But independent sleep is like any gift, it's not a 'gift' until it's ready to be received as such.

My first self settled at 6mo and I was kind of aiming for that again. He had other ideas! I guess my aim for now is to help him secure enough to go to sleep peacefully and trust that I will be there when he needs me.