Author Topic: Wind down routine for touchy baby?  (Read 1419 times)

Offline jkitiara

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 20, 2016, 23:42:10 pm »
Can someone tell me what their wind down routine is for a touchy baby? My guy is about half textbook half touchy. I tried spending more time doing wind down to make our napping go smoother, but I swear it's gotten WORSE. I'd love a minute by minute break down of what you do when.

If this is on the boards somewhere already please point me there!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Wind down routine for touchy baby?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 18:44:07 pm »
Hi!

There isn't a specify thread about WD for touchy babies or minute by minute breakdown but this gives a general overview: What does a good wind down consist of (Includes 4S ritual)

My DS is a combination of touchy-textbook-spirited but definitely touchy around sleep! He was (& still is) very sensitive to stimulation & very easily OS and OT.

He's 3.5yo now so I can't remember an exact breakdown of timing but I do remember that I needed to start WD about 30 mins before I wanted him asleep. I would usually take him away from the living room where most of his toys were at that time, go into his bedroom and do low lighting and v quiet activities.  I think from a previous post your LO is only about 12wks? I think at this age our quiet activity was just sitting with quiet music on or maybe a carry round the house or looking out the window or just a cuddle. Around 15mins before I wanted him asleep I would swaddle and play some music..same music every nap time, then turn off the light,  put white noise on and into bed...

At 3 mo I still had to rock him to sleep but if yours will go to sleep with sh-pat (or a version of it) or PU/PD as I think you said that's what you were using then stick with that.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline jkitiara

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 20:03:40 pm »
Thank you! I've been patting him to sleep in my arms. Won't stay down unless he's basically already out.

It sounds like maybe I should start a little earlier.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Wind down routine for touchy baby?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 22:14:59 pm »
I found my touchy DS needed as little stimulation as possible...his room was a cave - we blocked out all the light & put some white noise on and that was what he needed.  as PP said I needed to pull him away from bright stimulating places so he could start to calm down & then be ready to sleep. 
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy