Author Topic: night wakings to eat, how to encourage eating more during the day?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline marcat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
night wakings to eat, how to encourage eating more during the day?
« on: September 27, 2016, 16:25:39 pm »
DD started a nursing strike when she was 2 months old. Since then, she had a bad habit of getting most of her nutrition during night eating because that is the time when it was relatively easy to make her eat. Now she's 4 mo and this is our eating schedule

7:30: eat, one side, 4-5 mins
11:30: eat, one side, 4-5 mins
15:30: eat, one side, 4-5 mins
19:00: eat, one side, 4-5 mins

2230-2300: two sides, 10 mins each side
200-300: two sides, 10 mins each side

I'm reached supply-demand balance, no extra milk other than what she takes. Now that she's not that against eating during the day, I want to encourage her taking her milk more during the daytime. Could you suggest a step-by-step plan? Shall I decrease her night eating first (eliminate one time? eliminate one side each time?)? Shall I switch back to 3-hour interval feeding first? My concerns are 1) Decreasing night feeding might decrease my supply? 2) feeding at short intervals during the day might bring her back to the nursing strike? The ideal target is really switching her night intakes to daytime.
Thanks for the help!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: night wakings to eat, how to encourage eating more during the day?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 21:45:57 pm »
Night feeds are often longer as they are more sleepy. If she's only having 2 NFs that is great for her age and nothing to worry about. Will she not go back to sleep after just one side at night?

What happens if you offer the second side in the day either immediately or after 30 minutes?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline marcat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 03:10:38 am »
During the day, when I offer her the other side (immediately or in 30 mins), she pushes it away, raises her head and smiles at me. If I forces her to latch, she starts to scream and cry.
However, I'm sure she doesn't take in enough. She has only 3 or 4 wet diapers during daytime, and each one is really light. She passes stools every 5 days; not much each time. Here's the wonder: she's 90% both length and weight tough...So I guess she makes up her meals during the night.

During the night, I tried yesterday giving her just one side (both at 11pm & 3am). She didn't have difficulty going back to sleep and it didn't make her sleep shorter period of time. She still woke around 3am and 7am. Today, she's willing to take the 2nd side in one of the feedings. Is that a sign that decreased night feeding encourage daytime eating?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:31:14 am »
Yes, I'd say so 😀
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline marcat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 17:07:08 pm »
Thanks!