Author Topic: School Run with a baby in tow - EASY tips and support  (Read 1772 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
School Run with a baby in tow - EASY tips and support
« on: September 23, 2016, 09:58:41 am »
Do you have any tips or advice?
Can you offer BTDT support to parents who are trying to work an EASY routine to fit with the daily school run?

It occurs to me we have lots of Mums (sometimes Dads too!) trying to get to grips with EASY routines when they have 2 or more LOs.
I'm not suggesting that we can "fix" every routine around nursery and school drop off, pick up, after school clubs and all the daily needs of older children with younger siblings, but I do think we must have a wealth of knowledge and experience in our community which others would benefit from.  Let's share it :)

Can you "pay it forward" with your experiences and tips?
Are you looking for ideas?  What are your struggles?

Offline FPT23

• Showing Appreciation 18
Re: School Run with a baby in tow - EASY tips and support
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 21:37:37 pm »
Hi! What a great topic as it seems to always cause havoc with new LOs and their routines ;)

I actually am currently going through this as we speak. After asking several questions and receiving some great advice from moms on the forum, I decided to just accept that OT may be inevitable. No two days are the same! I usually liked to rely on a good morning nap but some days, I get shorter morning naps and others I get a very long nap!

So, i started off first by contemplated capping the morning nap and try to fit it to where his next nap would be close to at least 1hr of sleep. It's all I could think of that might work. DS1 has school pu at 2:45pm and coincides with DS1 nap. I was ending up with a second  short nap and having to wake to go for DS1.

Ultimately I decided to let the first nap be. His second nap was going to be a mess anyway, so I am aiming for at least one, good, long, morning nap. I stopped trying to cap it since his afternoon nap was not going to be a long restorative one; at least the morning would be. So I stopped capping the first one.

I am also having to throw in a CN if he cannot make it to BT or opt for EBT which have given me 12hr nights, seeing that his day sleep has dropped a bit. He is making up for lost sleep.

So far it's a roller coaster and yes he is slightly OT but I think we have to ride the wave w this one until his A time increases!

Would love to hear others routines and opinions! Our easy tends to work like this:

E
A
S 9:30-11:00/11:30

E
A
S 1:30/1:45-2:15/2:20

E
A
S when possible I squeeze a CN in -- 5:00/5:15-5:45/6

...this will end me up with a BT around 8pm ish. In other occasions I skip the CN and just have him asleep. Y 6:00pm and he's been up the next day by 6:15/6:30am which works for us since we have to be up for school anyway :)

Hope this helps!

Other posts/experiences welcomed!! :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 21:40:58 pm by FPT23 »
Fabi

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 07:11:32 am »
Four words - go with the flow! School kids have such varying schedules that when you add in a baby's changing sleep needs, you just have to be flexible.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 17:42:37 pm »
Looks like there aren't so many takers to this topic as I expected.

Bumping in case there are others who haven't seen it and might have some additional tips to add.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 18:52:18 pm »
Oh, one thing to add - unless your LO will sleep on the school run itself (mine won't - far too exciting) then it can be quite a squeeze to fit in naps to a school day, particularly during the 2-1. We will end up on one nap sooner than with DA1, simply because once we are home from school there's not much chance to attempt a nap amongst homework, making dinner etc.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015