Author Topic: Transitioning from breastfeeding to bottlefeeding - 4 months  (Read 1755 times)

Offline MakMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Transitioning from breastfeeding to bottlefeeding - 4 months
« on: September 08, 2016, 02:59:17 am »
Hello,

After much thought, consideration and consult (tears and guilt), my DH and I have decided it is time for me to make the switch from breastfeeding to bottlefeeding. For physical, emotional and logistical reasons, it is what is best for our family.

Over the last month, I have been posting in other forums about the transition to a 4hr EASY. LO has adapted well, but had also started frequent NWs (and has been hungry!). LO is currently facing the 4month regression with physical and development growth spurts, frequent swaddle escapes, and teething. There is also some eczema and reflux (although we've gotten a handle on this) for good measure! lol I have done my best to adapt to his needs at this time (lots of EASA and 3.5-4hr E). Last night we gave him a small formula top-up at BT and he slept the best in weeks (which makes me think my supply is low).

LO is well established on the bottle already (will take from me, DH or other family), and is also not opposed to formula (we had to top him up frequently in the earlier days due to poor latch/supply). In my readings, I see this is half the battle. Given some of the developmental leaps that are happening, I would like to make a gradual transition in the feeding. Also, I am easily prone to plugged milk ducts.

At this time, I am not certain how much to feed baby (I'm thinking approximately 5.5oz per feed). I haven't done a yield in some time as I have been having difficulty getting a let-down on the pump (not an issue with LO). LO is 14lbs. and 4months (in 2 days). I am also not sure how to start the process of weaning my milk. I would like to know how to gradually do this. I have 4 feeds (7am; 11am; 3pm; 7pm) and the DF. I would like to start with the DF. I don't know if I pump and/or feed him, etc... Looking forward, I also would not know how to deal with NWs and bottle feeding (how much, etc...)

Any guidance would be so appreciated. These forums have given me so much support and encouragement. I was so relieved to make a decision to make the switch and now I am anxious considering how to best do this. Thank you in advance and please let me know if you require any further information/context.

Much Respect.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Transitioning from breastfeeding to bottlefeeding - 4 months
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 08:00:39 am »
Hey there
Sorry you didn't get any replies yet.
Just wanted to pass on a hug really. I made the difficult decision to switch from BF to FF when my LO was much younger than yours, and experienced the tears and feelings of guilt you mentioned.

You're several weeks on, how are things now?