Author Topic: Should I drop dream feed?  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Mummy23boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Should I drop dream feed?
« on: November 06, 2016, 22:23:46 pm »
Hi there,

Just wondering if I should drop it because lately he is very hard to settle after it. (He is almost 6 months) He will take about 5oz but he is an incredibly hard baby to burp so this sometimes can take a while. So when I do put him back down he screams as he wants to be back in my arms on my shoulder.

I'm starting to dread the dream feed now! I often have to bring him in to my bed as that's the only way he will go back to sleep. Bad I know!!  ::)

Thsee are more or less feed times..
Wu and E 7 (6oz)
E 11 and solids at 12 (6 or 7oz)
E 3pm (6 or 7oz)
E solids 5/5.30
E 7pm (6 or 7oz)
Dreamfeed 11pm (6oz)

I always put 7oz in bottle and sometimes he will finish it sometimes not. Am I giving too much milk? Should I drop a bottle? When he eats solids it's not a huge amount as I want to take things at his pace and once he is 6 months we can explore it more.

He just cut his first tooth and I've a feeling another one is about to come. It's just I hate to disturb him for the DF if its going to be 12.30 by the time he and i get to sleep. Although the past few nights he has woken screaming for it!

Not sure what to do. Any advice?
Thanks xx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Should I drop dream feed?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 21:52:09 pm »
Have you tried doing it a bit earlier? Tracey says to DF between 10pm and 11pm but maybe 11pm is a bit late for him and it would be better at 10/10.15. If he is used to having it (and is waking for it) he will miss it  and would just wake for a feed I would think and that wouldn't be any easier for you.

Are you feeding him asleep? The idea is that if they are feeding in their sleep they shouldn't need burping as they are more relaxed feeding. My refluxers were awful to burp in the day, but I could put them straight down after a sleepy nightfeed and they were fine (wouldn't take a DF).

I wouldn't drop any feeds yet and the amount you are feeding him seems fine to me. Formula fed babies usually drop to 3 bottles around 10 months and then 2 feeds around a year.

What do you think?
Laura

Offline Mummy23boys

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 22:11:41 pm »
Hi ya,

Thanks for replying. Well I dropped it cold turkey 3 nights ago and he has slept straight through! This is night 4! He sleeps till 6.45/7 so I'm delighted. He obviously doesn't need it. I've up'd his oz during the day though. He has now cut his second tooth! Hopefully tonight will be another success. Fingers crossed xx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 22:17:57 pm »
That's great! Shows what I know!! LOL! ;D

Fingers crossed for you!

Laura