Author Topic: Breast feeding and co-sleeping  (Read 1721 times)

Offline katkniep

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Breast feeding and co-sleeping
« on: October 01, 2016, 19:04:36 pm »
I'm just curious, how many of you have your LOs in bed with you for the night?

After BF at night i find it so hard to pick him up and put him back in his own bed without waking him!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:03:55 am by katkniep »

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Breast feeding and co-sleeping
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 20:19:47 pm »
Us! Generally it's around 4am that he wakes, and I've tried putting him back to bed a few times...it's not gone well so I've kinda given up for now. The cuddles are lovely and we are generally getting enough sleep. He's our second and I know how quickly it goes, so I'm just going to enjoy it.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 20:31:43 pm »
I feed sitting up with a feeding pillow and using a cradle hold. We only ever co-slept for the last hour or two of the night when they were in very light sleep. I can't relax with a baby in bed.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 21:02:39 pm »
My MWs gave me advice on safe consleeping and BFing and said they felt it helped BFing succeed and be maintained.  i was surprised as when i had my DD1 co sleeping was a no!

DD3 who is now 6 months has slept with me since birth. I think if you are going to co sleep you need to be aware it can be a huge prop to break later on. I've been tacking it in stages though. She goes to sleep herself and sleeps 8-1/2 before looking a feed. I tend to fall asleep feeding but I do move her to her own space and she's getting better at staying asleep.  We're down to a couple of NFs now and no DF as it never worked for her. And I resettle without feeding if she wakes too soon but she does sleep in with me at this stage. I have been thinking about moving her to her cot soon.

I think though the main thing is to be  aware it is something that will need to be tackled at some stage. With with other two they slept in their cots and stayed in from the 4/5 am feed and that just faded as they didn't need the feed anymore but other people have had to sleep train to get rid of co sleeping. I'm rubbish with night wakings so tend to do what needs be to get everyone the most sleep.

Offline katkniep

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 08:14:45 am »
Funnily enough this is our 2nd, our DD1 weaned herself due to low supply at about 4 months and she was only ever in her own bed.

The midwives here also like co sleeping, I think with breast feeding people are getting back to the 'natural' sleep habits, although i do miss having the whole bed for myself, and my DH of course!

I've been using the removal technique for him falling asleep and he takes all his naps in his own bed, but after 12-1 he's looking for food i think every 2 hours, is that normal or could it be due to my low supply again?
I do mixed feeding and it's quite hard to know!

Offline katkniep

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 08:16:48 am »
I feed sitting up with a feeding pillow and using a cradle hold. We only ever co-slept for the last hour or two of the night when they were in very light sleep. I can't relax with a baby in bed.
I know what you mean, i'm not sure this would work for me as he doesn't feed very long because of the short supply, i would spend the whole night getting up and i think he would get way less sleep :(