Author Topic: Oreviiisly good sleeper now waking (6 months)  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Mulberrybag

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Oreviiisly good sleeper now waking (6 months)
« on: October 01, 2016, 19:24:33 pm »
I've previously had a really good sleeper sleeping 6.30-6.30/7 since around 3 months with a dream feed.

For the last 3/4 weeks he's been waking several times a night.

He's in the fifth development leap at the moment.

6.30/7 wake up

8.30/9 nap for 1.5 hours

1-2.30 sleep

4.30/5 cat nap for 30 mins

6.30 bedtime

10.30 dream feed

(Feeds every 3/4 hours)

First wake up is around 3 hours after falling asleep - sometimes needs resettling.

At the moment the other wake ups are around 2, 3 then 4.

4am we've fed for the last 2 nights.

He's needed nurofen too teething too and has had a viral rash.

I'm at wits end! Any help would be great, thanks

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: Oreviiisly good sleeper now waking (6 months)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 00:41:10 am »
Hi there! :)

Many hugs and sorry for the tough times! NWs can be very tiring and frustrating! Hang in there!

OK! I may have a few suggestions  ;) ...first of all, his easy. Around this time, many LOs have transitioned to 2 naps or pretty close to it. I believe your A times are too short and he wants to stay up more! :) ....i would push out that first nap. You have your LO going down about 2hrs after being up. That's def on the low end. I would try pushing in 15 min increments and hold for a few days. See if the long naps continue (which should) ...many suggest going in smaller increments but I think 15 is easier but of course, mom knows best. So instead of 2hrs try having him asleep by the 2.15 A time mark.

This will help push his day forward and eventually push out that last CN out and your just ending up with the 6-7pm BT. If I read correctly, you have a CN from 4:30-5 then BT at 6:30pm? You definitely need to push those A times ;) ....he's waking UT. For the next few weeks I would work on extending A times. Not all at once but little at a time; gently and allowing baby to adjust without becoming chronically OT.

He will have some OT and that's inevitable but in time will adjust :) hope this helps!

When u said he eats every 3/4 hours did you mean during the day? Or nights? Have you already. When solids? That many NWs can also be due to some kind of discomfort? Sometimes  new foods can disturb tummies :( ...how many times are you doing solids?

Teething too is common around this time but I'm sure the medicine helps that. I'm sure the rash plays a part too with discomfort! ...I think once the rash passes I would consider the rest. Hopefully that passes soon as it could be a big issue too for NWs

Hugs!!! Positive vibes ur way!
Fabi

Offline Mulberrybag

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 19:28:12 pm »
Thank you!

Since posting he's had 2 days of just 2 naps. A time in the middle of the day is 3 hours. Beginning of the day still 2 hours. When over tired we get a lot of screaming and melt downs so  worried about extending A time but I'll try.

Just started weaning doing baby led weaning. He's not been having much at the moment and nothing with allergic concerns.

I guess it could be teeth as none have come through yet.

We don't do any night feeds.

Offline FPT23

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 23:14:35 pm »
Your welcome :)

Pushing A times is always intimidating and we worry about the OT. I hear you, I have a 7.5 month old ;) ...but that morning nap is coming too early which can also lead to EWs. I think he needs a bit more A time in his day and push that CN out little by little.

That is why I suggest pushing by 15 min increments over the course of a few days. It avoids those meltdowns. You are pushing little by little every 3-4 days, yk? :) not every A time but maybe just the morning for now, or afternoon if you prefer... I'm going to leave you a link with AVERAGE A times around this age :)

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

Ah how fun with the BLW :) ...just suggested covering every angle since many new things come about during this age. Solids, teeth... 3-2 nap transition... all that can bring night disruptions.

This is all simply suggestions :) hopefully something helps and the NWs pass soon.

Hugs
Fabi

Offline Mulberrybag

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 19:32:07 pm »
Thank you!

Today we pushed it out to 2.5 hours. He slept for 1 hour 15 mins.

Then 2 hours A and 2 hour 15 nap.

Cat nap was 1 hour!! Got up, bath bottle and bedtime.

Think I need to push the A in the middle of the day out too?

Offline Mulberrybag

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 19:36:25 pm »
Just checked and middle of the day A was 2.5 hours. Perhaps that needs extending to 3?

Offline FPT23

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 23:58:37 pm »
Hi there! :)

Remember, extend one A time, at a time for a few days. So let's say you decide to push the first morning A time... 15 mins, right? You will do the same for next 3 or 4 days- but only that A time. Not the afternoon ones... if anything they might come a little earlier since he might be slightly more tired. For example:

E
A
S 9:00am

E
A
S 2:00pm

...the 9:00am nap will now have the goal of asleep BY 9:15am.... see what I mean? I would leave the rest the same or expect the next map to come 10 mins or so earlier if he's seemingly tired from his new morning push :)

Xo
Fabi

Offline Mulberrybag

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 19:34:53 pm »
What A time shall I aim for with the first nap? I can't see him going beyond 2.5 hours. Today it was 2 hours 5 mins so hoping to incase to 2.15 tomorrow

Offline FPT23

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 16:53:00 pm »
Hi!

No definitely do not exceed 2.5...

As I mentioned, increase by 15 mins at a time for a few days. Many LOs prefer a shorter morning A time while some prefer longer. You know best :)

If you decide to go with the first morning and he's falling asleep by 2hrs, then attempt to have him asleep by the 2.15 hr mark. So if for example he's been asleep by 9am, try asleep by 9:15am. Asleep by that time not put down at that time ;)

See how that goes for the next few days. Keep the rest of the day the same. Don't increase. If he's still taking long morning naps then he's good and will adjust :)

Hope that helps
Fabi

Offline Mulberrybag

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 19:01:03 pm »
2 hours15 this morning but only slept for 45 mins! Think he could have been a bit overtired.

Offline FPT23

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 23:02:47 pm »
45 mins generally mean under tired hun.

How was he after he woke ??
Fabi

Offline Mulberrybag

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 18:43:12 pm »
Happy.

Something odd happened today. Put him down at 2 hours 45 as he had shown no signs until then and he slept for nearly 3 hours. That's got to be too long?!!

Offline FPT23

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 00:30:14 am »
He needed that push ;) he was UT.

It is long but he must've needed it ;)

I would continue to push his A times little by little. Not all at once or too much at once. It can catch up to him and then it could be worse. Just gently push :)

Xo :)
Fabi

Offline Mulberrybag

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 18:55:39 pm »
Hi I thought I'd check back in.

I've been pushing A times with success!we are now at 2 naps both 1.5-2 hours. A time is around 3 hours but a little shorter before his first nap.

We are still dream feeding. Tried to drop and he woke at 12, 1, 3, and then 6.30.

Last night we ended up feeding at 1 as we had dropped the df but he woke hungry. He then fell back to sleep until 6.30.

Is there anything I can start doing to drop the df?

Offline FPT23

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 21:07:59 pm »
Hello! Welcome back!

Very happy your routine has adjusted and pushing A times was successful! Glad to hear ;D

IRT, the DF... many experiences I've seen (and mine included with DS1), parents let them sleep through it and see if they even wake. A lot of times a baby just stops needed to wake. He might not be ready to drop the DF. BW suggests removing the DF once baby has become very well established on good solids. I believe around the 9/10 mth mark? Don't quote me on that ;)

However if he's just not ready, maybe now isn't quite the time to wean the DF? ...if you decide to, you can start by removing 1 oz every few days, slowly. 1 oz every 3 days, then so on and so forth. You also want to make sure you keep up those calories during the day. Increase his oz in the day to make up for the DF. See if that helps any?

:) xo
Fabi