Author Topic: Hours to settle after learning crawling/standing  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Hours to settle after learning crawling/standing
« on: October 04, 2016, 00:05:33 am »
So DD officially took up crawling last week and 24hrs later was pulling up and standing, and well as getting from the laying down position to sitting up position on her own, and since she has completely lost the ability to SS.  She used to fall asleep within 10mins and now it is taking upwards of 3hrs, she just sits up in her crib, then stands until she's too tired to do it anymore, then falls over and lays there for a minute and then repeats the process.  I did a form of WI/WO and just laid her down telling her it is sleep time and rubbing her back for a while, then leaving her to try to settle on her own, until she'd get too worked up, then I would repeat...but it took 3hrs before she was actually asleep  :-\. She's getting massively OT because of it.  And of course she was previously STTN and now she's not, which honestly I am fine with, it is just her sudden inability to self settle.  Tonight is proving no different.

Am I going about this the right way?  I don't remember what I did with DS or if this was even an issue...perhaps I blocked it from my memory lol
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 01:59:50 am by Lindsay27 »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Hours to settle after learning crawling/standing
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 17:57:42 pm »
Oh it's such a pain isn't it, we're at same phase and he just cant self settle. I've just been apopping as we were getting ot and hoping it passes soon!

Not much help sorry x
Zoe

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 21:35:57 pm »
How exhausting!

There's a section in one of the BW books where Tracy describes how to teach LO to get back down from standing.  Along the lines of taking her hands (once she has stood in the cot) and putting them on the cot bars (rather than the top of the cot) then lowering her hands gradually down the bars until eventually her bum plop down on the mattress.  She mentioned that LOs who learn to stand haven't yet learned how to get down again so they stay up until they fall...but then get up again.

You may also be able to help her learn how to get from the sitting position to the laying position in a similar way, rather than you repositioning or laying her down, you show her how to do it by bringing her hands down and forward on the mattress (or on the floor if it's A time).

I don't remember this being a long lasting phase for my DS but I do remember I had to break down the instruction into steps. If I said to him (once he stood up in his cot) "lie down" he ignored me (I assume he had no idea how to get to laying down from standing up). If I said "sit down" he would (or I'd help him down), then "lie down" (or help him lie down) and finally "it's night time, go to sleep."  I also remember a more instruction tone (teacher voice) helped DS to know I meant it rather than trying to "sooth" him to sleep it was more an instruction that he must.

It will pass of course :)

One other thing to bare in mind, she is really young, floor time and crawling are far more important for her development in so many ways. I'm sure you can't just stop her pulling up to standing but personally I would not encourage it or offer help or a hand to hold to reduce the amount of time she spends up on her feet and more time sitting, tummy, crawling, rolling.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 00:15:21 am »
Last night I just rocked her because I am bloody sick (again!) and I honest to goodness just didn't have the energy to do the 3hr marathon again.  She doesn't normally like me rocking her to sleep for bed, but naps were crap yesterday and she was shattered also.  Tonight when I put her in her crib I just plopped myself down next to her and shh'd her when she started crying and rubbed her a bit.  Then she'd stop for a while then start and I would repeat.  Only ended up taking about 30mins for her to fall asleep so that is good.  I stayed with her the whole time but at least she didn't sit up or stand up.  Might have to do this for a while.

This girl has always been a champion sleeper, especially from 6 months on, I've been quite spoiled so this is foreign to me, but also whenever she wake up from a nap or in the morning she used to just chat away to herself happily and now the second her eyes open she's screaming bloody murder.  It's just such a far departure that happened literally overnight, I feel like I don't know her right now :( Sometimes she used to wake at 5:30am and just talk herself back to sleep and now it's immediate screams.  So you think this will all die down/go back to normal eventually?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:02:07 am by Lindsay27 »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 13:59:33 pm »
With the sitting and standing developments I'd assume the screaming is related to those. But 9 months, it could be the start of the 2-1, mine went off track around 9.5 months but the nap wasn't dropped until 11.5/12 months.  Hard to tell when there are those developments.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 15:25:20 pm »
Well this morning she woke at 5:45am, she didn't fall back asleep but she didn't scream the house down either.  She just happily chatted and played with her lovey like she usually would.  Hopefully this means there is hope!