Author Topic: Hello and advice on getting started with PUPD  (Read 930 times)

Offline Ailasmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hello and advice on getting started with PUPD
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:55:27 am »
Hi all,

I am a first time mum to 4 month old little girl. Napping has always been tricky with my little one, she would only nap in a sling to start with and now will only nap if I hold her. Her night sleep was good up until 2 weeks ago with only one waking but now she's up between 3 and 4 times a night. I'm blaming the 4th leap! At night I rock her to sleep or feed her to sleep which I know has to stop as she needs to learn to self settle.

I want to get started with PUPD as something has to change. My husband is on board to help too. I have few questions before we start.

1. Should I tackle both nap times and bedtime/night wakings at the same time?
2. She is really stubborn and I can see her refusing to go to sleep in her basket for naps with PUPD and we will spend the whole nap time trying to get her to fall asleep. If she misses a nap and it's time to feed again do I try to get her asleep straight after that feed or wait till the next nap time as per the schedule? I'm really worried she is going to not nap at all.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: Hello and advice on getting started with PUPD
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 22:11:15 pm »
Hi hun, sorry we missed your post.

There is definetely a sleep regression at 4 months but the advice I've always gotten is to continue doing what you are doing to ward of OT but work on night sleep. My own opinion is PUPD is not for every child and I use it more of a last resort if gradual withdrawal or shushpat doesn't work.

Check out the info here:

PUPD: Pick Up/Put Down (PU/PD) - Everything you ever needed to know!
Gradual Withdrawal:http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=80750.0
Shush Pat: Shush-pat - How to

Also you may want to take a look at your routine because if it's not quite right the sleep training may not work if you have and OT or UT baby.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Ailasmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 09:40:28 am »
Thanks for your reply. You are right PUPD wasn't for us and in the couple of days we've been trying shush-pat works much better. Our best was 3mins to fall asleep with no crying the other night. It used to sometimes take me an hour to get her to bed some nights so this is amazing. She is napping in her basket too, again a massive step forward but wakes after 20 - 45mins. I think her routine needs adjusting so I posted another question in the nap forum. If you have any advice, I've listed the last couple of days, here's the thread - Naps - waking after 20 - 45mins. Help!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 23:51:08 pm »
Great job with the Shush pat. :) I'll take a peek at your routine.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**