Author Topic: 6.5 Month old EASY - change anything?  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Meggyfunk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: October 09, 2016, 18:46:34 pm »
Hi,

I recently posted to the night waking and breastfeeding forums. I deleted the NW question because of its similarity to my breastfeeding post. I really appreciate the thoughtful responses, I'm simply feeling confused and would appreciate eyes on my EASY. One kind mama suggested that our little one might be feeding too frequently and snacking, and another kind mama suggested we might have his feedings spaced too far. Our son is 6.5 months old, EBF and recently started solids. Would you recommend any changes?

A typical day goes as follows:

E 7am Nurse
A
E 9am Solids + Nurse (we tried an earlier time for solids and he wasn't yet hungry. I offer him the breast after his solids. I used to nurse him around this time at the 3:2 transition and continued to offer because it seems solids are supposed to be in addition to milk and not in place of at his age?)
A
S 10 - 11:30am

E 11:30am Nurse
A
E 1:30pm Solids + Nurse
A
S 2:30 - 4pm

E 4pm Nurse
A
E 6:30pm Nurse until drowsy
S 7pm/7:30

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 6.5 Month old EASY - change anything?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 23:09:30 pm »
I don't have much BF experience unfortunately, but it is looking like you are nursing roughly 6x per day? At 6.5 months I believe we were down to 4 daily feeds, but my DD was FF so I imagine there is a bit of variation between the 2.  Is there any reason why you feel like routine is not working? Because if she's happily nursing and taking the solids I probably wouldn't jump to change anything. 

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 23:29:59 pm »
Thank you, Lindsay. I'm honestly really happy with our daytime routine and feel the solids will replace those two extra BF/top off E's, which will work that little kink out soon. We moved his A times up super quick and he was having a hard time adjusting with a hungry tummy before starting solids which is where those came into play.

I was looking for encouragement to help our LO wean night feeding again and started second guessing our EASY with the suggestions received regarding our daytime feedings. It sometimes helps to get back to the basics and make sure things look good there.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 23:51:13 pm »
From what I know it is very common for BF babies to need a top up before or after nap when moving from the 3-2 so I think what you are doing is just fine, and if you and baby are happy then my motto tends to be 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' :)

With regards to night weaning I would still fully expect him to take a NF (or 2) until well established on solids.  Even if he had stints of STTN before, there is a big growth spurt at 6 months so I would fully expect that he still needs a NF.  I believe I weaned my DS gradually at 8/9 months because the NF was taking away from day feeds, and my DD weaned herself between 6/7 months.

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 00:03:27 am »
So very true, haha!   :-*

If I am being honest, it's kind of soul crushing when they STTN and then one day don't anymore.

Thank you so much for your guidance and sharing your experience.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 13:10:31 pm »
Yes I know, both of mine had stints of STTN which were later abandoned, it's hard.  But if a NW is as simple as a feed and back to sleep I think it's best when at the time they still probably need the calories at night.  Once solids are well established things might change, but there are always teeth, developmental milestones and any number of factors to keep an LO up at night.  STTN is never a sure thing when they are still so little...one can wish though! LOL :)

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 12:55:05 pm »
I made a few little tweaks and ended up getting a full nights rest last night (he slept 7pm to 5:45am)!!! If we could manage that a few nights per week, that would be amazing!

I stopped topping off the solids with breastmilk which led to fuller feedings after nap time.

I added "dinner" to his solids and he's now getting 3 solid meals per day (2.5 oz each)

And, at bedtime I worked on getting a fuller feed. He was always really sleepy and Im afraid bky getting a full feed; I started to  gently rub his cheek with my finger  to encourage him to stay awake and continue feeding before doing a gentle wake up to lay him down drowsy.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 13:14:16 pm »
Amazing!  Yes sleep got better here after my DD was on 3 solid meals.  I also had to make sure there was a solid 4hrs (or more) between her afternoon bottle and BT bottle so she took a good feed before bed.

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 13:37:21 pm »
That is a really good point! I just went back to the average A times to make sure I am staying on track to gradually increase him this time. I got behind and had a rough go at the 3-2 transition.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 14:14:23 pm »
Yes the 3-2 was rough for us too, but I found that once we were on 2 solid naps things stabilized from 7-10 months.  Now we are in the wonky 2-1! The routine during the day will definitely help with night sleep, so it's fantastic that you are checking the A times to see where you are at, it is so easy to "fall behind" so to speak and then play catch up during major transitions.

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 14:22:32 pm »
Best of luck on a smooth transition!!