Author Topic: Night waking  (Read 6946 times)

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2016, 08:06:39 am »
Mmmm I was wondering about separation anxiety as she can be calm in bed and I go to leave, she rolls over, sees I'm not there and cries. Also when I stay until she's calm...no contact with her...she reg turns slightly like she's checking I'm still there...

We had two sttns but then last night she woke screaming..I thought she was hungry but she didn't settle after BF. I think teething is back in the mix as she woke inconsolable during her second nap too...lots of drool last few days and thinki can feel two small bumps on the bottom gums in the middle...fingers crossed for tonight!

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: Night waking
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2016, 04:07:52 am »
Sorry I've been out.

Well I'm glad your getting more nights down again.

Best of luck! :) and many hugs!
Fabi

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2016, 03:53:16 am »
Yes us too ha ha...we have had about a week of STTN now...coincidentally or not...it started the day before her first tooth came through - so think is the screaming probably was pain.

So she's getting on average, 11 hrs a night, sometimes 10.5 sometimes 12.

We are struggling still with her settling for bed. We have consistently tried 3 hrs for last wake time for 3-4 days, then increased to 3.15 wake time for 3-4 days...made no difference she still was a struggle and seemed to nod off around 7.30 not matter what time she woke from her arvo nap...even on days she refused her arvo nap (has happened twice in the last week).

I am wondering if her wake times need tweaking again as she's doing 1 X 1 hr and 1x 1 hr 15, one is sometimes 1.5 and very occasionally, like one a week/fortnight a 2 + hr nap. She 8.5 months now and is on about a 3.15 wake time before both morning and arvo nap.

In the morning we defo get sleep cues, but the arvo one we don't and I pop her to be following the clock give or take 5-10 mins.

Should I post on the naps pages? I read recently that at 8 months 2-3 hrs a day and 11-12 at night was the average so at a min she's getting 12 hours total, and Max of 14.5-15 hrs...

Offline FPT23

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2016, 03:51:03 am »
Hi I'm sorry I've had problems with internet connections haha ::)

Why would u move to naps? If you are having nap issues it does help to start a new post there so you have more eyes on your now new focused topic and other eyes to see too! :)

Hmm well there is seperation anxiety around this time- could that be her bedtime issue? Also, if extending didn't work... then try to PD 10 mins before the 3 hr mark? See if it helps?

Super happy about the STTN !!! Yay!!!
Fabi

Offline SarahE

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2016, 08:11:47 am »
Hey, no worries,

We tried Pd 15 mins before the three hr Mark...first night was like a dream...but after than same as previous  ::) ha ha.

Tonight she went down a little easier but when I tried to leave same issue...but managed to leave whilst she was still awake though very drowsy. She is also coming to the end of a wonder weeks leap...is now pulling herself up and standing supported. She's also worked out she can sit in her cot...but she knows how to get back down and does as she's been sitting herself up for a while now in the day and going back down...so thankfully doesn't seem to be much of a problem so far...when she has sat up crying and no going back down...I've just lay her back down, saying "time to lie down" and my usually bedtime line.

Still predominantly STTN - had a few night wakings but then another tooth appeared...so I'm pretty confident the night wakings were teeth related  ;D

The only other thing going on is that she hasn't put on any weight in the last 6 weeks...she's being weighed again in 2 weeks, if she hasn't put on any by then she will have dropped below 9th percentile which will be down 2 since her birth...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:06:50 am by SarahE »

Offline FPT23

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2016, 04:40:38 am »
Ah well not every night is the same ;) haha! Some days they might be more tired than others even if you have the perfect A times- a lot has to do with just that; new found mobility. It's new for them and it's like their exercise, yk? So they get tired quicker- some days more than others.

I'm glad you established the NWs to teething. I had the same issue recently. He's an angel baby and I can't remember the last time (until recently) that he had NWs or given much of any problems at all...but then for 3 nights he was waking at 4am-- then I spotted the little teeth haha! I tell you, they play a roll! Do keep in mind as I mentioned before, a lot of it really is developmental. Not all nights will remain the same. Something always pops up. Especially with all the new stuff happening ;)

Congrats on the new milestones though! :D super cool.

As far as her weight goes... I think we talked about this?? Or not haha I can't remember... but I had told you to make sure she was getting enough in her day if she was now NFing anymore, but you mentioned your supply was good? ....well I'm not a dr right, not a lactation consultant/nurse... but I do nurse myself and it is something I've always told BFing moms here on the forum with NWs or moms that don't want to NF anymore or whatever the case is. That causing drops in supply and the longer the naps in the day and longer A times, supply goes down too. AND adding solids also kinda gets in the way. I mean, as long as she's thriving and happy.. which she seems to be with all her new milestones.. I guess I wouldn't worry UNLESS your dr said there was a problem? But maybe try adding some pumping sessions to up your supply and if she has a NW and doesn't resettle, at this point I would nurse.. and nurse on demand for that matter.

But mom knows best. Go with ur maternal instinct. It's always what's best

:)
Fabi