Author Topic: Research request: A Mum's perspective on sleep deprivation and night wakings?  (Read 5828 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Good night = sleeping through 10-12hrs
Sleep is important and DH and I constantly comment on how we don't get enough but I feel it is manageable and not like I need a perfect sleeping through the night every day like some people seem to. I feel my DD sleeps OK and I don't expect her to sleep through every night. I feel it really helps my mental state that I am not constantly wondering why she wakes for a feed still at night and trying to tweak her routine to stop it. I just accept that she is still young and some night wakings are to be expected. It won't last forever.
When I hear my DD make a sound at night I wait to see if she is resettling herself or getting upset. I look at her (via the monitor) to see if she is awake and up or lying down with her eyes closed. As soon as I hear an I-need-you cry or she stands up and calls/cries for me I go to her. I might initially try to just shush her but if she gets upset or motions for milk I breast feed her. Usually she will feed for 5 mins and then go back in the cot awake and go straight back to sleep.
When I don't get enough sleep I am more snappy and easily angered. I have less patience. After a particularly bad night I try to tell my older kids (4 and 6yo) that I am tired and I need them to help me out. Sometimes they oblige, sometimes not!
We use a video monitor to see and hear my DD. I can also speak to her through it. We used a blankie /lovey with my older two but DD never took to hers.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Melodymumof1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thank you Ali! Do your older children sleep well? Do you think they understand when you're tired?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
Thank you Ali! Do your older children sleep well? Do you think they understand when you're tired?
Yes, my 4yo and 6yo DSs both sttn 11.5-12hrs. That can mean a 6.30am wake up if they have gone straight to sleep at 7pm and done the shorter night length though.
I don't know if they really understand what it means to be tired all day but they do accept it as a reason for me to say I don't have the energy to do certain things or to ask them to help me by playing by themselves or watching a movie for example. They are still demanding but I'm not expecting miracles!

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
I've been doing night toilet training with my son, it's much earlier than I would have planned but he insisted that he was no baby. And as you can guess it's been a few weeks of waking constantly, I think last night I was up 5 times and after a few weeks it feels pretty tough and I've had a few mini meltdowns between the coffee consumption.

OK maybe not quite on your questionnaire, but the Human Biology side of me (Biochemistry/Immunology degree) says that night time dryness is about Biochemical processes & not about education, so in my mind it is interesting that you equate that as a "normal" reason to be waking & up at night & so it kind of plays into what to an individual sees is a natural developmental progression in terms of what we see as acceptable to be woken for. You see the night waking as part of your child learning a skill, I on the other hand see the waking at night for toileting to be disrupting 2 people's natural sleep patterns. Which kind of ties into a lot of it is what we accept as necessary waking at night & cope because we believe we *need* to, so for a newborn it is ok, but a 9mo some will accept, others will mentally be "It shouldn't go this long" & so struggle more mentally as well as physically. 
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
Oh and I think my DD's ears must have been burning as she has slept through at least 10.5hrs, often 11hrs plus, every day this week!

Offline Melodymumof1

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks Ali, thats a really interesting way of looking at it. Just like our babies we are all unique and our experience and what we expect or can cope with is also individual. I wonder if there is a point of critical mass where 'most' people would say...okay...this is too much? Or even if that is down to personal character and expectation?

I had another question for anyone who might like to join this conversation? Have you ever used any sleep aids/Sleep toys or sleep apps with your baby as part of their nighttime routine or ritual? I personally tried out various things, but it would be really interesting to know if other people used or use anything to assist with sleep?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
We used white noise with DS2 and it worked well. I left it on for naps and stopped it after an hour after BT. I stopped it when he moved into DS1's room at 15mo.

There are definitely times I see posts on here where people are desperate for better sleep and I find myself thinking things really aren't that bad. Sometimes their baby is sleeping better than my own! I think it also helps to understand what is normal and temporary and the reasons why babies are waking at night. If I couldn't understand why my baby was waking (EBF, sick, teething, habit) and I didn't know when it would end or what I could do about it then I think I would feel more out of control and desperate. Sometimes, especially with EBF babies waking at night, I find all mum really needs to hear is that it is normal and temporary and  not that they are doing anything wrong.

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
Hey there, sorry been absent for a while...

Not sure whether you meant a good night for our LOs or for ourselves? My criteria changes for DD depending on where she is with nap transitions, how her naps were that day, whether she's teething (in which case I'd accept a few short NWs as inevitable and if the night was long enough overall I'd feel it's ok under the circumstances), and probably other things too! At the moment I'm happy if she gets 12h although if she had a poor nap or was especially tired I'd hope for a bit more, as I know she's on the HSN end of things. At other times though, especially I remember with DS at nap transitions, I'd be happy with 10.5h nights. If you meant our own nights - well, I guess an uninterrupted stretch of 7h would be lovely, more would be even better, I do get this occasionally when sleeping in the living room (because I need to get up in the morning earlier than she does and she sleeps in our bedroom), but more often DH is up late working in there too (no other rooms available!) so a 'good' night's sleep is a fantasy for me :P Of course, even if everything else goes 'well', there's no guarantee I'd sleep well anyway ::)

Sleep is important to me as I really struggle without enough and I see the struggles my LOs have when they don't get enough. I believe 'enough' is an individual thing though. I'm prone to depression and sleep deprivation is definitely a trigger, so I did have a period of a few weeks a while back when DD's night sleep was awful, of sleeping in the living room every night, to try and get myself back onto a more even keel. I don't like myself much when sleep deprived :P Outside the home I try really hard but can struggle to keep my eyes open at work, sometimes even after drinking too much coffee. I also struggle to find words and form sentences more than when I'm well rested, or lose track of what I'm saying (or thinking!) half way through. So I sometimes get blank looks from people :P but generally I think they understand ;) Definitely less efficient at work though, take longer to make decisions and problem solve, that sort of thing. And sometimes I feel a bit off guard, I don't really drink but suspect that it would be a bit like getting tipsy, like saying things I might feel silly about saying at other times, if that makes sense? A bit delirious, maybe? At home, however, it's another matter :-[ Snappy with the kids, snappy with DH, far less patience and prone to bursting into tears. Not pretty :P

Sleep aids - white noise, still use this as DD is still in our room, it really helps to block out our sleeping noises so we don't wake each other up more than necessary. If DD does wake us, we wait to see whether it's just an isolated cry or if she's actually properly awake. Usually if she is awake, then I'm immediately wide awake and struggle to get back to sleep afterwards even if she doesn't ::) DH is amazing though and will get back to sleep immediately, so if she's upset then he usually goes to DD to apply teething gel or find bunny, generally one of the two at the moment will suffice. If she's just babbling a bit or wriggling around trying to resettle herself, we'll leave her to it. We also use black out so the room is pitch black. We swaddled until around 6mo and after that use sleeping bags.

Definitely agree with Ali that when I don't understand why she's waking at night, or waking early in the morning, or perhaps know why but have no idea how to fix it, then I struggle much more. If I know what to do, or know that the cold or whatever will pass, it's easier. It's also easier if I have a plan, even if I don't know whether it will work! Teething is a bit different though, because DD is a late, sloooowww teether! It just seems to go on forever, swollen gums, constant fingers in mouth, crying out in sleep or waking with the pain :( Tbh her nights aren't that bad with teething, as I don't think she actually wakes half the time when she cries out in her sleep, but I certainly do, and struggle to get back off again ::) Early waking is also hard for me to deal with, I'm not good at going to bed early (guess I'm often on here too late as that's the time I can do it), and if I know she hasn't had enough sleep then I'm frustrated for her as I know she'll struggle that day.

Sorry, you've just had a sleep deprived ramble from me there ;)

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
I used white noise with DD (an app on the iPod) and both of my LOs have blankets for loveys. DD used the white noise until she was 2. It really helped her get to sleep when she was a colicky newborn. We used it for naps and nights.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Gully

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2

My lo is 5 months.
I feed her at 11pm so head to bed about 12. Usually wake up 2/3 times a night (before 7 am). Husband then gets up with her and I get another 90 mins. All in all I get about 6 hours. I definitely think 4 hours straight is better than 7 broken. I feel the effects after one night, but can cope until night 4. Then I just have to get extra sleep or I get very teary and anxious about silly things. I have never coped well with sleep deprivation so this has been a real eye-opener! I read on a blog though that you should just stop counting the hours of sleep you got/missed and try to focus on other things because this will not change for awhile. I have to say that has really helped me change my mind set. I used to be really focused on my sleep, and consequently would be stressing about it. Now I just try to get through the day. I'm still really really tired, but just trying not to focus on it!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Giving this thread a bump in case there is anyone who would like to add their experience but hasn't seen it yet. x

Offline Mariesusu

• Showing Appreciation 1
Hi, I could help you since I'm currently in the peak of feeling the effects of sleep deprivation.
My LO is 5 months old and wakes up every hour, sometimes more.
I think I might gather 4-5 hours of broken sleep. I definitely feel the effects during the daytime, especially since it's been 5 months now. I feel like a bugged-eye zombie, have way less patience and motivation to do the things I'm used to doing (housework, walks outside, cooking...) Hopefully things will pass and she'll start sleeping through like my DS at 6 months but only time will tell!

Good luck on your research

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
For those of you who took part, or anyone who is interested to read more about this research, Melody has posted a thank you with a link to her thesis here:
Research Project: A Mum's perspective on sleep deprivation