Author Topic: 7 month old waking 10x a night  (Read 2337 times)

Offline LauraJame

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 13, 2016, 17:09:21 pm »
Hello ! I am back again  :(

My son is 7 month old today! He is always smiling and happy during the day but he is super agitated and curious. For example. in bath he never stop to kick and punch the water ...

The E.A.S.Y routine is always with:
- Wakes ~ 7:30AM
- 1 nap : 1 hour
- 1 nap : 2 hours
- 1 catnap : 30min (we skip that sometimes)
- BT : 8:30pm

With 3 ~ 3.30h wake time.

My biggest problem continue the same : waking at night. Its even worst now waking over 10x per night somedays. I cant even sleep some nights.

I will write some facts about him so maybe someone can help me using the infos:

- I swaddle him in all naps and at night
- He never tried a pacifier
- He eat 2x during night (1AM, 5.30AM)
- I am using PU/PD with shuu pah, but when he wakes during the night he does not accept that and I need to hold him.
- He kicks so hard when sleeping and wake because of that. It always happens the first time at 35min. If I hold his legs in that time he does not wakes! So I´m doing that everday. Is there any technique to prevent that?

Any idea/suggestion/help ?

Sorry about so many questions :(

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 17:45:33 pm by LauraJame »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 7 month old waking 10x a night
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 16:40:29 pm »
Hello, sorry you haven't had a reply yet. I will bump for you but I think we dropped the catnap around 6  months. He is probably too much day sleep now x

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 18:55:09 pm »
Hi yes as pp mentioned lots of LO have dropped that 3rd nap. You mention he doesn't have it every night so he seems to almost be there. Have you seen this which may be of help: All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

I would say 3hrs max for day sleep is what most need so you might want to start capping that first nap some more.

Could you post a typical day that includes all your A times as well.

Is there any teething going on? Have you tried any pain medication to see if the NW are less frequent? 10 a night is quite a lot and usually indicates discomfort of some sort.

Lauren

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 12:15:29 pm »
I am wondering about the swaddle also as most have weaned the swaddle around 4 months (though some keep it longer), but I am curious if all the kicking is because he wants more room to stretch out and get in a comfortable position? I know my DD usually stirs somewhere between 30-40mins and rolls over or changes positions.  Just a thought :)

Offline LauraJame

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 11:12:51 am »
Hi yes as pp mentioned lots of LO have dropped that 3rd nap. You mention he doesn't have it every night so he seems to almost be there. Have you seen this which may be of help: All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months

I would say 3hrs max for day sleep is what most need so you might want to start capping that first nap some more.

Could you post a typical day that includes all your A times as well.

Is there any teething going on? Have you tried any pain medication to see if the NW are less frequent? 10 a night is quite a lot and usually indicates discomfort of some sort.

Hello!
Thanks for your help and time.

Wake 7:00
A 7:00 - 10:00
S 10:00  - 10:45 (45min)
A 10:45 -13:30
S 13:30 - 15:00 (1.5hr)
A 15:00 -17:45
S 17:45 - 18:15 (30min)
BT 20:30

He has 2 teeth now and I think others will appear soon. Can it mess with the night sleep? Never tried a pain medication.

I am wondering about the swaddle also as most have weaned the swaddle around 4 months (though some keep it longer), but I am curious if all the kicking is because he wants more room to stretch out and get in a comfortable position? I know my DD usually stirs somewhere between 30-40mins and rolls over or changes positions.  Just a thought

I dropped the swaddle two days ago... I think he needs some nights to adapt, but It did not improve night waking for now.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:15:59 am by LauraJame »

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 18:13:57 pm »
Hi there are you waking him from that first nap at 45 min or does he naturally wake then? 45min usually means they're undertired so I would extend that first A by 15min to see if it lengthens. Hold it there for a couple of days and if not extend a little more. That way you can get 2 long naps and can drop that 3rd one.

Yes teeth can definitely cause lots of disruption at night. I would try some ibuprofen and see if his night improves at all.
Lauren

Offline LauraJame

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 10:16:39 am »
Hello

He usually wakes at 40 min (naps or night sleep).
I always try to make him sleep again holding him. Sometimes it works sometimes he is happy and dont want to sleep more.

I tried so many techniques and I am lost now, I dont know what I can do to help him. I think I need to *reset" everything and start from zero again. But how is the best way to do that? What should I do?

Thanks for your precious help

Offline LauraJame

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 17:30:10 pm »
Hello...

Just an update.
I tried a pain medication (tylenol) before bed time and did not have any improvement.

My nights are  like that :

8:00 BT PU/PD is not working anymore, so I´m holding him and walking for about 10 minutes
8:40 He wakes (If I hold his legs he keep sleeping, otherwise I have to hold him again)
10:30 Same as above (but Im sleeping as well, so I cant hold his legs anymore)
11:30 Same
12:30 Same
01:30 Breastfeed
03:30/04:30 Same (after feeding normally he sleeps between 2~3 hours)
05:30 Same
07:00 Wakes and breasfeeding

In all wakings if I hold him quickly he do not cry and fall asleep again quickly. If I wait too long he begin to cry a lot and even after I hold him he stays crying loud for a long time until calm down again.

I dropped now that 3rd  nap almost every day.
But his first nap now is so short, got 3 days like that :

7:30 Wake
10:30 Nap (30min)
14:00 Nap (2:30hr)
20:00 BT

Any help on my journey seeking my sleep time again? Should I focus on PU/PD again? Other methods?

Thanks

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 14:21:28 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have much PU/PD experience, but it does sound like he is using you as a prop to fall asleep in the night, and likely can't transition between sleep cycles without you, so I think the only way to move forward it to focus on sleep training in whatever capacity you feel comfortable - does he go down independently for naps? 

The routine doesn't look too bad, though might be a tad bit early for a short AM/long PM routine, but the PM nap is good so it could be working for him. 

Here are some links that you can look over that may help, and you may just need to decide what plan you think will work for you and we can support you through it. 

Gentle Removal Plan
Pick Up/Put Down (PU/PD) - Everything you ever needed to know!

Offline LauraJame

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 15:28:59 pm »
does he go down independently for naps? 

No, he doesnt... I need to walk with him as well... In the longer nap he usually wakes 3x .

Thanks for the help, i will read the material.