Author Topic: 9 month old STILL waking up at 5am! We are one tired family!  (Read 1038 times)

Offline LuluBaby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 month old STILL waking up at 5am! We are one tired family!
« on: October 16, 2016, 13:50:04 pm »
My LO has always been an early bird. She usually wakes up to start the day around 5:30am (sometimes 5:15) ideally I'd like her to nap an hour longer. I've tried moving naps a bit, cutting a 3rd cat nap, changing her bedtime but nothing seems to work. Even though I'd like to sleep longer in the am, I can manage but 4 year old sleeps in the same room as baby and she's having a hard time waking up earlier especially now that she's had her nap cut out too because of school.
Here's what baby's schedule looks like:
5:30 (or sooner) wakes up for the day
6:20ish I get her out of bed and ready for the day
6:30ish nurses
6:45ish breakfast
8:30 1hr nap (I've tried pushing it to 9. Most days she's too tired but 9am didn't make a different to EW)
10:00 nurses
11:30ish lunch
1:00 nurses then nap (about 1hr30 more or less)
4:00 nurses
5:00 catnaps sometimes happen (cutting out nap didn't affect EW)
6:00 (sometimes a little sooner) dinner then bedtime routine (bath etc.)
In bed by 6:30/7

What can I change that I haven't already tried that could make her sleep a little longer in the am? And I'm terrified that because of daylight savings coming up, that 5:30 wake turns into 4:30 wake 😩

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 9 month old STILL waking up at 5am! We are one tired family!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 14:25:26 pm »
Hi hun, those EWs are the worst aren't they!? You've touched on a few things that I think neeed to happen, essentially her entire day needs to be pushed out.  So if she wakes at 5:30 I would have the first nap be at 9am, the key is that it needs to stay at 9am and not revert back to being earlier.  This will hopefully get you a longer nap and will also push her second nap later in the day which will allow you to cut the CN out.  The morning nap needs to be pushed and the CN removed at the same time.  You might not see results immediately, but over the course of a week or so hopefully it moves the WU eventually.  She might be a bit OT at first but you will need to hold this for a few days despite any OT to really make it work.

So something like:

WU 5:30
Nap 9-10:30
Nap 2-3:30
BT 7

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 17:24:29 pm »
Totally agree with Lindsay. And in my opinion 9am is still way to early. With nap at 8:30 and daylight saving coming, I would go for a big one push by 1.5-2h. Yes she will be OT for few days and she may short nap but still you should save the day. Think about it as a changing time zones where one big push is recommended and couple of days should be left for adjustment. If you do nothing next Sunday it will be 4:30am ...:)
~Marta

Offline LuluBaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 04:29:32 am »
Thank you for the advice!!! I'll get on that and keep you posted on how it goes!  :)

Offline LuluBaby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 04:58:41 am »
Also would I keep bedtime the same? 6:30/7:00?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:30:42 am »
If you aim for WU after 6am I would keep 7pm BT or even think of closing to 8pm as after the change, it will be 7pm once again. With 6:30 BT, WU at 5:30 is still a good 11h night.
~Marta