Author Topic: Sleep hell nearly 9 month old  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Sleep hell nearly 9 month old
« on: October 18, 2016, 06:49:01 am »
Hi ladies we are officially in a mess....I just can't figure this child out!

We were doing pretty good with just 1 NW and decent BT and WU.....but 4 teeth have come in over last couple of months and I was thinking he'd just got used to being helped back to sleep. I'm wondering now though if SA has kicked in big time and 9 month SR may he startykng and I don't really remember how to deal with trying to get IS back.

He's clingy won't be put down but yet won't settle on me, NW are ridiculous regardless of it's a good or bad nap day so I'm just lost where to start or if I just need to ride it out for s while.

He was doing WU 6.30
Nap 9.30-10.30
Nap 1.45-3.30
BT 6.45/7

DS1 goes to breaki and after school club mon-wed so pick up later means I can let nap be 3.30 but on thurs/fri I collect so nap had to end at 2.45 so BT is earlier.

He is 9 months on 30th and we stopped reflux meds 5 weeks ago but doesn't seem like reflux pain in night x
Zoe

Offline Fifilottie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:52:51 pm »
I went through this with my DS at 9mo(SR for sure) He went from sleeping through to waking every hour some nights. Wouldn't self settle anymore. I think it lasted a couple of weeks or so. I was at the end of my tether. All the hard work gone to pot. But it ended. I let him play in his cot during awake times and purposefully bobbed in and out so he knew I was there. At first he would manage seconds but eventually it got to minutes and then gradually longer. I liked to think this helped with SA. I had to regress back a bit with sleep training and once I felt he was ready( as it will just be stressful if not) I did a bit of walk in,walk out. Sometimes worked, sometimes didn't but with a bit of perserverence( and a lot of patience...that was hard) we got there. I didn't worry about SS for naps at the time( I wanted to make sure he didn't lose too much sleep) and focused on BT. SS for naps came back eventually. I hope that helps.

Ps I know how hard it is to fit naps around school runs etc....I have only just been able to fit a proper restful nap in now mine is down to one. I had to just accept a constant battle until that time. I too had to just do an early BT if I had to wake him. Oh, and then comes the start of the lovely EWs.

Anyway hope this helps a little. I am sure someone more experienced will be along with better advice x x x

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
Re: Sleep hell nearly 9 month old
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 13:14:02 pm »
Thanks that's really helpful to know you've been there....school runs are a pain lol xx
Zoe

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 14:11:38 pm »
Ureggggh things are just getting worse, naps are shocking and nights are too! I can't even post a day as it's just a mess.

This afternoon after A time of 3.25 has done a 15 min nap and woken super happy but looked shattered when went to sleep. Did nap for nearly 2.hours this morning but because after 40 mins hubby held him for another 30...just can't sleep without us x
Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 14:58:15 pm »
Zoe I wonder if you scale As back a bit? Once Nora was on 2 naps her A times were stagnant for a really long time, she was only doing maybe 3.15hr in the morning.  We've just jumped now to about 3.5hr in the morning and closer to 4hrs in the afternoon.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 15:21:53 pm »
Sounds like s good idea as think he is OT looks shattered even after a nap but also think teeth are playing up again constant biting and chewing!

So today WU 5.30 but resettled on me until 6.15 as had been an awful night.
Nap 9.30 woke after 45 mins but unhappy DH got him back to sleep after holding for a while and he woke at 11.30.
Nap 2.50pm but we were out so timed for car ride home but woke chatting and happy after 15 mins.
Just fell asleep in pushchair at 4.10pm so was thinking allow 20 mins?
BT 6.45?
Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 15:26:46 pm »
Yes that sounds good I think! Every LO is different and Nora can handle a short A before bed if she's had a bad nap day, so if it were me I'd let him sleep a bit more, maybe 30-45mins...and then do bed 7/7:30, but like I said she does okay with a later nap and short A to bed, I imagine that's not the norm lol

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 15:32:29 pm »
Yeah might let him have a bit longer to catch up! I can't figure this child out at all lol x
Zoe