Author Topic: Constant Yawning  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Sekin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 24, 2016, 07:51:38 am »
I have a premature baby, she's just turned (two days ago) 7 mo chronologically 5.5 mo corrected. She has two tiny holes in her heart, and her doctor says they're normal and just need to be followed. She sleeps OK, she has 3 naps usually 1,5 or 2 hrs long, and she always has at least 11 hrs of sleep at night, but she wakes up yawning, and yawns in every 10 minutes. She's active, smiles, plays happily with her toys, chats. Seeing her yawning constantly I put her in her bed and she fights not to sleep, but when I put her to sleep in every 2 hrs she sleeps in 1-2 mints. I read that heart issues can cause constant yawning. SOme says she's simply bored.

Did you experience this? Thank you in advance.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Constant Yawning
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 19:37:39 pm »
Just bumping this up for you :)  not something i experienced with mine I'm afraid but if your LO is happy and sleeping well which it looks like she is, I wouldn't worry too much x

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 19:49:33 pm »
  If it's every 10 minutes I wouldn't worry.....but ask your ped just to be certain.  At one point my Mom was yawning every 30 seconds or so, and that was a concern.....but every 10 minutes I don't think is.  I remember them telling us to count how many yawns per minute....but again, sounds like something very different.  :)

Offline Sekin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 14:56:29 pm »
Thank you very much. Today she was so not like herself. She's an angel/textbook baby and she woke up at 7:30 and resist sleeping till 14:00 and slept for only one hour and that's it, she didn't sleep again. She's not fussy, still playful but I'm worried. I'll get an appointment from her doctor just in case.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 19:20:31 pm »
When DS was yawning frequently, it was that he has fluid in his ears.

That routine may require an increase in A time, hers is very low even for her adjusted age so that could be a reason for refusing naps but worth getting the doc to check if you're concerned.

Offline Sekin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 19:40:36 pm »
When DS was yawning frequently, it was that he has fluid in his ears.

That routine may require an increase in A time, hers is very low even for her adjusted age so that could be a reason for refusing naps but worth getting the doc to check if you're concerned.

I never thought of fluid, that's very likely given she has bath everyday as a bed time routine. I agree on the A time, I'm trying to working my way up to 3 hrs, stretching 10 mints everyday. Crossing my fingers :)

I talked to her doctor on the phone and his first guess is mild infant reflux. He thinks because she wakes up many times, she cannot sleep well causing OT. I'll cut dairy products and red meat from my diet as a first step. He'll tell me more when he examines.

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate.

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 20:43:09 pm »
I've read somewhere that it  increases oxygen consumption and its a good thing. Not very helpfull, sorry. Just a rendom piece of imformation I have 😃

Offline Sekin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 21:17:31 pm »
I've read somewhere that it  increases oxygen consumption and its a good thing. Not very helpfull, sorry. Just a rendom piece of imformation I have 😃

Every idea is helpful for me :) Thank you.