Author Topic: I'm at my wits end with my nearly 3 year old!  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Donnarobbo88

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I'm at my wits end with my nearly 3 year old!
« on: October 27, 2016, 13:51:55 pm »
I'm seriously seriously at my wits end !
My son is 3 in march so he's 32 months on the 4th November
Taking it back he started sleeping through the night at about 11 months old when he went into his own room with his brother he had always been put to bed fully awake and we've left the room and he's gone to sleep himself
He was an early riser but this stopped when his nap stopped I can't even remember when his napped stopped I think it was round about 2 we tried to keep it but he just wouldn't he's been fine never over tired slept great started sleeping later his bedtime was always 6pm but it changed to 6.30 when our Third baby come along and he started shouting when he went to bed and waking in the night this was just before he turned two it settled tho and he started sleeping again
Then out the blue it started again he doesn't want anything when he wakes he just gets up shouts us we put him back say go back to sleep he says ok you leave the room and he shouts again and again
I don't no what to do
Last night I put him to bed later at 6.45 he went straight to sleep didn't shout but woke in the night for over a hour and woke at 4.45 and wouldn't go back to sleep
It's killing me I have a four year old and a 9 month old and I'm drained I don't no what to try x
Any advice x
He sleeps in his own room now he has done since we moved house last Christmas he has his door shut with the lights of. It it's always been this way and he doesn't say he's scared or anything and he would because he has brilliant speech x
It doesn't matter if I'm super nice if I shout I can plead and he doesn't care
He's a generally hard toddler and I use to look forward to bedtime for a break now I dread it x
Mommy To Three Boys
CJ 13/02/2012 9lb 5oz
Chad 04/03/2014 9lb 1oz
Cruz 12/01/2016 8lb 3oz

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: I'm at my wits end with my nearly 3 year old!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 20:37:09 pm »
Big hugs, toddler NWs on top of baby ones are exhausting.

It sounds like you are doing sensible things- he goes to sleep independently, you're trying a later BT.

How do you respond in the night? My 3yo recently went through a reoccurrence of NWs.  I made the mistake on night 1 of telling him a story then we had a week of him waking asking for a story again at 2am! I stopped doing stories and instead would just very neutrally say it was still sleep time, tuck him back into bed but no other chat and leaving room & repeating until he did go back to sleep I.e. Neither being super nice, nor pleading, nor shouting- just being very calm,matter of fact and, most of all, boring!

The other thing that has helped is a Gro-clock, so he can see "it's still stars" I.e. Nighttime. Hit also transpired that he's de eloped a fear of the dark so the light on the Gro-clock and leaving his door ajar has also helped.

Just some suggestions to try?
HTH
Xxx

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 22:06:41 pm »
also transpired that he's de eloped a fear of the dark
I think mine was about the same age when we started to leave the night light on instead of it being totally dark. I am not sure he even verbalised that he needed or wanted a light, even with good speech kids aren't always aware that there are options.  Now mine goes to sleep with a night light and when I go to bed I pop in to turn it off otherwise he will wake in the early hours thinking it is morning. Night light for going to sleep then pitch black for staying asleep. When he wakes in the night he is not bothered if the night light is on or I've turned it off, he doesn't have sudden fear of the dark or anything although maybe for some they need it all night.

Have you had a chat with him in the day time to explain how important sleep is for him and mummy and the rest of the family and that it is not okay to be waking people with shouting?
Is he night dry? Could he be waking because he needs a wee or perhaps wants to be dry at night?

Offline Donnarobbo88

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 04:54:03 am »
Thanks girls I'm thinking of getting a gro clock
I'm currently sat in tears And thinking I can't do this no more
I've been awake since 4am I heard the baby stir although he didn't wake
Then my 4 year old woke for a wee at 4.30 then chad woke shortly after he went back of them Cruz the baby woke at 4.55 he wouldn't go back to sleep then chad woke again at 5.30 probably with the noise and kept saying he wanted to go downstairs
I am so tired I don't no how to stop all this wakings and getting up at the crack of dawn I'm drained

He is dry at night but still wears a pull up as to be honest I can't be dealing with changing a wet bed if he does wee on top of everything else
He does sometimes wake for a wee and will tell me but most times he's shouting me for no reason
If I don't sort this out I feel like I'm going to crack up how can I function when I'm up from 4am x
Mommy To Three Boys
CJ 13/02/2012 9lb 5oz
Chad 04/03/2014 9lb 1oz
Cruz 12/01/2016 8lb 3oz

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 07:04:26 am »
I would order the gro clock right away. Or a use a lamp set on a timer, that's what we have and when the light goes on it is "morning" and he is allowed to read a book in bed for 20 mins which gives me a bit of extra time.  It does take time to teacher the gro clock or timer lights, but worth it.

You can do this. This is a tough phase you are working through and it feels horrible. But you ARE doing it and you WILL get through. xx

When mine was disturbing my sleep I would point out to him the following day just how little energy I had for playing. They can't understand everything but they do understand quite a lot. Eventually it goes in.
Does he have a lovely or teddy he can cuddle if he wakes? Have you tried  a role play during the day to show him what to do in the night when he wakes up, how to get his teddy and cuddle it and go back to sleep?

Offline Donnarobbo88

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 06:09:19 am »
Thanks for the advice Hun I will defo get a gro clock last night was much better he had a little moan when he went up but not for long and he slept great he woke at 2am to tell me his mouth was sore he is cutting his molars but he has never said any other nigjt his mouth is sore so I'm sure that's not why he wakes I left the room once I'd seen to him and he fine a few mins later he had a coughing fit and I went in as it was quite bad I gave him a sip of water and he was fine and went back to sleep he then woke up at 6 but lay quietly for half a hour when we got up
My baby on the other hand had me up al nigjt they take it in turns I think lol x
Mommy To Three Boys
CJ 13/02/2012 9lb 5oz
Chad 04/03/2014 9lb 1oz
Cruz 12/01/2016 8lb 3oz

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 07:21:09 am »
It's great he did better last night but sorry you were up with the other one!
The joys of 3 kiddies hey.