Author Topic: 5 week old routine  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Dips05

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 29, 2016, 07:28:53 am »
Hi there,

I have a 5 week old baby who is on a 3 hour routine. Her routine is as follows:
7 bottle
10 bottle
1 bottle
4 bottle
7 bottle
11 bottle dream feed
She usually wakes for a bottle in the night, the time varies from anything between 3am and 5am but today for the first time she has slept through until 6am. I have a couple of question...

1) is it ok that she has slept through from her dream feed at 11pm until 6am at 5 weeks?
2) should I treat the 6am feed as her morning feed and continue 3-4hourly from this time?

She weighed in at 7lb 8oz last week and is taking 4 ozs at each feed very easily. Any tips would be hugely appreciated.

Xxx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5 week old routine
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:51:59 am »
Hello, Welcome to BW forums :)

Congratulations on the arrival of your LO :)

My LO also slept through from the DF to morning when he was very young. I think some just do/can.  Our health visitor didn't think it was a problem and weight gain was steady.  For me, the WU time wasn't great, more like 5am and that was morning, but still I got a long stretch of sleep.

I always counted 3hrs from that first feed, I know he couldn't have gone any longer at that age.  If at the end of the day the 3hrly feed didn't work out for BT I just fed at BT too, even if it was quite close to the previous feed.

It's always lovely to see a newbie here - hope you'll stick around.

Offline Dips05

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 15:17:56 pm »
Thank you for your advice! So much information out there so just needed some reassurance.

My LO does sometimes go a little longer than 3 hours but does tend to be very hungry so will then guzzle her milk. When we first brought her home she would go for as long as 3-4 hours and even then we were having to wake her to feed, HV told us not to let her past 4 hours. I then started following E.A.S.Y 3 hour routine and she's been great on this.  Also, she drinks her 4ozs very easily, I think sometimes she could carry on drinking. Would you suggest sticking to increase in feeds based on weight??

She might not even go as long as she did last night but would be fab if she did  :)

Will definitely continue to use this forum, have found it very helpful already.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 17:24:08 pm »
Wow she's doing well! ;D

If she is drinking all of her bottles, or all of the majority of them in 24 hours you need to increase the size. When they bottle feed there should be a bit left at the end of a feed so you know the have stopped because they are full and not just because the bottle is empty. I would up all her bottles to 5oz and see hoe she does.

Laura

Offline Dips05

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 13:17:22 pm »
Thanks for that!! I did consider increasing feeds to 5ozs but was worried about overfeeding her, especially as the guide on the formula packet says she should be around the 10lb mark before offering 5ozs.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 15:41:27 pm »
Don't worry about the formula box - they offer very general guides and don't know your baby ;) ;D

Laura

Offline Daniela Stambazzi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:20:29 am »
Hi there,

I have a 5 week old baby who is on a 3 hour routine. Her routine is as follows:
7 bottle
10 bottle
1 bottle
4 bottle
7 bottle
11 bottle dream feed
She usually wakes for a bottle in the night, the time varies from anything between 3am and 5am but today for the first time she has slept through until 6am. I have a couple of question...

1) is it ok that she has slept through from her dream feed at 11pm until 6am at 5 weeks?
2) should I treat the 6am feed as her morning feed and continue 3-4hourly from this time?

She weighed in at 7lb 8oz last week and is taking 4 ozs at each feed very easily. Any tips would be hugely appreciated.

Xxx

Hello,
my name is Daniela and I'm writing from Italy. We don't have forum for bottle feeding since is not socially accepted (we have only breast feeding consulting)..and I need your help.

I have a 5 week old baby who is on a 3 hour routine. His routine is the same above, and my baby usually wakes for a bottle in the night too, at about 3 am.

We have removed 1am feeding 4 nights ago, so now he eats more beacuse we passed from 8 to 7 suck
 and it's not easy for him, sometime it seems too much for him since he brings up.
At the same time I would like to remove night feeding
What I can do?

Many thanks
Daniela

Offline Lolly

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:10:48 am »
Hi Daniela!

Can I suggest you start a new thread and post your days routine so we can tailor advice for you please?

I would say though that 5 weeks is way to young to be stopping night feeds - their tummies are tiny at this age and they need regular feeds around the clock for a while yet.

I would expect a 5 week old bottle fed baby to have a bedtime feed and then a dreamfeed or an awake feed around 10pm and then feeds around 1am and 4am. Some babies will go 4 hours between feeds at this age, but if they wake and it's been at least 3 hours since the last bottle you should feed.

Laura

Offline Daniela Stambazzi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 13:01:18 pm »
Hi Laura, many thanks :)
I'll do it right now