Author Topic: Help! I'm getting this all wrong!  (Read 1270 times)

Offline MunchkinsMama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 31, 2016, 08:24:43 am »
I've only just downloaded the BW book on my kindle and I haven't had the chance to read it through yet (my son's resistance to naps doesn't allow time for this!) so please bear with me.

My lb is 7 weeks old and weighed 10lb 4oz at birth and is currently 12lb 2oz. He had prolonged jaundice for around 4 weeks. As a result, we were instructed to feed him three hourly. He was very sleepy and feeds could take up to 1 1/2-2 hours. Unfortunately he is still in the habit of falling asleep on the bottle (nearly every feed-is this normal?). I try to implement EASY and rouse him for some activity time but the problem is that he will not nap during the day.

I have observed his sleepy cues... He yawns, zones out and stares straight ahead so I pick him up and attempt to put him down for a nap in the bassinet of his pram. More often than not, he'll waken the moment I set him down (ninja-like 🙈) or else he'll sleep for 10 mins and then waken. This happens even when he falls asleep on the bottle.

I don't swaddle him. It worked in the hospital when he was first born (the midwives did it) and then I didn't attempted it a few times without success until my health visitor said it increases SIDS. He does take a dummy but as soon as it comes out, he is awake so I hate using it and he doesn't need it at night. Any suggestions for a wind-down/nap routine?

Unless he is in his car seat in a moving car or his pram for a walk, he will not nap. I'm so worried that he isn't sleeping enough because most days he will go for 4-5 hours in the morning with maybe only a 10-30 minute nap.

He generally sleeps well at night but is inconsistent. We start the BT routine in his nursery-blackout blinds, nightlight, at 7pm with a split feed bath, massage, pjs and bed, follow a feed at 10 and then he'll either have one or two night wakenings. S'times he only takes an ounce in th second wakening. Then our day starts at 7. I don't know whether he sleeps so well at night because we have a good routine or more likely because he is absolutely exhausted from not having slept all day.

Feeding is also a concern and may be part of the problem because he tends to snack... Taking 1-1 1/2 or 2 ozs at some feeds (despite maybe 4 hours from last feed). There is no set time between his feeds but I do try to keep him to 3 hourly during the day.

Sorry for the essay but I'd really appreciate some advice.

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: Help! I'm getting this all wrong!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 11:56:06 am »
Hi there

These early weeks are tough and LO require a lot of help to sleep and are very unpredictable until probably around 3/4 months.  Hang in there it does get easier  :)

At this age they really can only manage about 1hr A time. Could you post a day so we can see all the timings of eat, sleep etc. I wouldn't expect any kind of real routine right now but there could be a few things that could change.

At this age you can't form any bad habits so we usually suggest maybe trying one nap in the cot etc and then the rest in pram/sling/held etc just to keep the baby as well rested as you can. Do you have a sling, was a life saver in those early days for me.

Have you tried stripping him off for feeds or holding in a different position to try to keep him awake. My DD1 was very sleepy and didn't feed well and we'd often have to strip her down to her nappy to wake her enough to feed. Sounds cruel I know but was what the midwives recommended.

Lauren