Author Topic: How to get toddler to nap in cot after getting used to napping in buggy  (Read 2173 times)

Offline dwilliams1984

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

My 22 month old son was having real trouble napping and we've now got to the stage where he will only nap in his buggy on the move! I am now pregnant for the second time and I am getting very tired walking around for hours! Does anyone know how I can get him to sleep in his cot again for his daytime nap? He resists sleeping in there and will scream non stop until I get him out and go back to the buggy option if I put him down in the cot in the day.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Dawn

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Just giving your post a bump! I have no btdt advice, except that at this age any big sleep changes will most likely result in a lot of upset for your toddler - it is more about pushing through and being with them while they work it out than anything and having the desire to see it through (which is not the easiest thing when pregnant I know!).
Heidi

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Hi there, not got any experience as my DS1 always napped in cot rather than buggy but can you post your day?
Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
No real BTDT either but right around 2yrs my DS stopped wanting to nap in his bed also, I think it was just that his room meant 'nap time' and he didn't want to nap even though he needed it.  From that point on he pretty well napped in my bed and I would just lay down with him for a few minutes (or DH) , and we did that until he dropped the nap.  Definitely a prop, but at least he was napping in a quiet room and didn't fight it for an hour ::). And it didn't seem to affect night sleep at all. 

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Hi there, found your post!  :D  Just popping on as requested with some support.

Could you post the routine for us - WU time, what time you try for naps (and when he sleeps in the buggy) and what time bedtime is?  I believe he is an independent sleeper at bedtime, is that right?

Without seeing the routine I would say that this is probably a phase, the run up to birthdays always seems to cause chaos ::)  But that also you may need to make some changes such as pushing the nap later to avoid resistance, and possibly needing to do some WIWO or similar to get him back to sleeping in bed.

Will wait for your routine x

Offline dwilliams1984

• Showing Appreciation 0

The napping in a buggy has been going on for a year now but I really need to tackle it once and for all!

Routine is currently
WU 6am
Nap generally 12.45pm but whenever he is showing sleep cues from 11.30am onwards. If he does not go off to sleep by 1pm I will keep walking him in the buggy until he does go off. Sleep for 20 mins - 1 hour. This used to be longer but he doesn't do much now.
Bed time at 7.30pm. DS goes to sleep independently in cot.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks! X

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
OK I think if you want to change things it will take some grit and determination to get him back napping in bed.  My suggestion would be to set his nap time (give or take 15 mins) to whenever he seems most likely to go off - say 12.30pm.  Do a short version of your bedtime routine, perhaps a story, cuddle and then into cot - and then decide whether you think a form of gradual withdrawal or WIWO would be best for him - Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)  I would try for 45 mins or so for a nap, and then if he doesn't go for it I would get him up and opt for an early bedtime instead - say 6.30pm if WU is 6am (based on his usual nap of an hour so bringing BT forward an hour).  My feeling is that he will probably skip the nap the first 1/2/3 days but by then he will probably build up a big sleep debt and not fight it so hard.  He may also be somewhat hideous to deal with...but hopefully short term pain for long term gain.  You know he has independent sleep skills, he's just ended up in a rut of relying on the the buggy to doze off in the daytime.  I think if the walking really isn't an option any longer for you then this would be the way I would go. 

The alternative is perhaps to rock him in the buggy until sleeping, then park him up?  I know it isn't perhaps ideal but if he is only used to a  short nap at 22 months my guess is it won't be around for much longer.  May not be worth the aggro to you to sleep train properly for nap time?

Offline dwilliams1984

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: How to get toddler to nap in cot after getting used to napping in buggy
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 16:10:24 pm »
Thanks so much Katherine! I will definitely take your ideas on board and see if I can tweak things a bit to get naps back on track. I agree that it might not be worth full on sleep training for naps because at least DS is doing night time sleep well these days.

Hope all's well with you and your family and thanks again for your help.

Dawn