Author Topic: Daylight Savings time  (Read 1627 times)

Offline AMJ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Daylight Savings time
« on: November 04, 2016, 13:27:08 pm »
Hi everyone.

Daylight savings time is just around the corner here in Canada and I'm trying to remember how to move my 3.5 year old DD's day. Moving it by 15/30 minutes every couple of days never worked for her but I remember someone recommending to me here another approach where you keep moving the BT by 30m every day (I think) until LO's WU eventually shifts, and then you bring the BT back earlier. Please remind me exactly what to you and what happens to a nap as well. How often should I be moving things and etc.  My DD naps for a bout 15-30m now. TIA

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
Re: Daylight Savings time
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 16:57:50 pm »
I just jump to the new time the night before. So bt one hour later (even1.5 h later) and wait for him to adjust. At this age, they can manage late bt better, at least my ds did at 3.5 yo. This way, the shift is in 2-3 days.
Barbara

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 17:57:43 pm »
Thanks for you reply it myDD doesn't handle it well at all. She gets really OT and never catches up :(

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 19:01:48 pm »
I remember someone recommending to me here another approach where you keep moving the BT by 30m every day (I think) until LO's WU eventually shifts
Likely it was me :)

Yes mine would just lose the 15 min or 30 min sleep if he went to bed later and WU at the same time in the morning (very strong body clock for WU) so over a week or two would lose a lot of sleep and be a real grouch, plus then OT NWs.
I did move him faster and further than the 1hr.  I expected OT NWs but this way forced his body clock to change rather than just losing out on sleep.
Move either 15 or 30 min every day - move EVERYTHING, every snack and meal, bath time, everything all these routine things help him to know where he is in the day, when you move them all the same amount it helps to establish the new time.
Keep going until you hit the 1hr change and then keep going after that. Several days in the morning WU should change, you will have an OT kid but once that WU changes you can start to ease back on the "extra" time you have added into the routine.
Keep a record of the times so that everything can move one way rapidly and then move back slowly.

I planned on moving to 2hrs rather than 1 with mine but I think his WU time shifted when we reached 1.5hrs so I held there a couple of days to establish the new WU time. Then slowly brought things back to place. 5 or 10 min earlier (or 15 you can try) for everything including meals and BT one night, next day IF WU time is still okay then move another 5-10 mins.

The whole thing shouldn't take more than say 1 week.

Mine is 5.5yo now and we just went through clock change. This year I shifted 30 min the day before the change and another 30 on the day of the change. He is older, understands more and knows what to expect but even so he is still waking early after nearly a week (he knows he has to wait until getting up time so that helps me but for him he just tries to relax and go to sleep but doesn't).  If he had his choice he'd go to bed earlier but I can't let him.

hth

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 23:56:23 pm »
Hi Creations, yes I think it was you!

Thanks so much for the refresher! I really appreciate it :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 20:13:08 pm »
No problem.  Hope it works well for you :)