Author Topic: 5am wakeup - Scheduling problem or sleep regression?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
5am wakeup - Scheduling problem or sleep regression?
« on: November 01, 2016, 18:10:18 pm »
Hi all,

My almost 18 month son is on day 4 of a 5am wake up. It's starting to take it's toll on mom! His normal day is:

6:30 (ish) - Wakeup
11:45 (ish) - Nap - 1.5-2hrs
6:30/45 - bedtime

Bedtime usually varies 15-20mins depending on when he woke from his nap. If it's been a short nap and we miss bedtime by 10 or 15 minutes we definitely feel the affects of an overtired baby so at first, I thought this 5am waking might be that, but it's not.  His naps are good, his bedtime has been solid. He wakes at 5am and cries until we go in the room. He is happy to lay in our arms for 30 more minutes or so...but not sleeping, just cuddling, and then wants to start the day. 

I'm having a very hard time telling if one of his canines is starting push in, so perhaps teeth is an explanation. Could this also just be a sleep regression? or should we be tweaking his routine?

Thanks all,

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 5am wakeup - Scheduling problem or sleep regression?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 06:22:14 am »
Hi!

As another mum of an early walker I sympathise!

As you say it could be a number of factors including teeth, sleep regression (some LOshaveasgnificamt one at 18mo), or routine. It's often hard to pin point 1 factor.

Will he resettle if you try teething gels or similar when he wakes? I know a few LOs IRL who get EW with teething.

Other thing could be that he is ready for a slightly later nap and BT and that might help push the day forward. Could you try moving both gradually later maybe by 15mins so every few days to get a 12.30ish nap and 7/7.30ish BT?

If that doesn't work then it might be SE and just waitungvit out.

Big sleepy hugs

Xxx

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 18:41:37 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply. 

After quite few tiring days with the early mornings, today he slept until 6:40!!  We've been trying hard to push his bedtime to 6:45. That is, we leave the room and he's pretty sleepy at that time but takes him another 5-10minutes I think to actually fall asleep. Perhaps that is the fix? So hard to know!  I will try pushing the nap as well. I find it tough as we have a 3 year old that still naps at 12pm - if I miss her and try her at 12:30, she's overtired and we lose the nap altogether. Tough juggling them both - but that's life as a mom I guess! :)

He won't resettle at all at the early waking with me or teething gels, advil, etc. I think he's had enough of a sleep that he just decides it's over.

We'll keep just trying to be very consistent, although we have the time change this weekend so that will push us backwards again! 

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 20:13:07 pm »
He won't resettle at all at the early waking with me or teething gels, advil, etc. I think he's had enough of a sleep that he just decides it's over.

That suggests that it might be a routine issue- he's UT somewhere, so yes later BT at least might help even if nap stays around 12 to coordinate with your 3yo...
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD