Author Topic: 5 week old super alert and difficulty settling to sleep  (Read 1037 times)

Offline mamatea4

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
5 week old super alert and difficulty settling to sleep
« on: November 07, 2016, 20:41:51 pm »
My 5 week old displays erratic behaviour when overstimulated. Mind you, I try to keep that from happening, but take yesterday at church for instance, she wouldn't close her eyes even when I tried to shield her face from activity and florescent lights. The result was an OS/OT infant who wouldn't nurse when it was time because she was fussy tired.

Then we went straight home after and I nursed her then put her down for a nap. I woke her after 2 hours to try to get her on track for the evening, but she ended up being awake from 5:30pm until 11pm! During that time I nursed her repeatedly and did the whole wind down for bed but she was wide awake, her eyes unblinking. I eventually got her to sleep in my arms, but she was really messed up the entire night. I couldn't put her down without her waking.

Uncanny, the wide unblinking eyes taking it all in at 5 weeks! That doesn't seem normal. What else can I do to minimize this from happening? I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to take her anywhere!!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 5 week old super alert and difficulty settling to sleep
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 01:23:10 am »
Hi Hun, it sounds like you have a little fomo baby. :) Fear of missing out. That is ok. Why was it so bad for her to be awake at church? Was she crying or uncomfortable? But also remember she is only 5 weeks old. They all show erratic behavior. They are still figuring this whole outside of the womb thing. You are right to try and keep her not overstimulated but other than that I think you just need to go with the flow for a few more weeks.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**