Author Topic: 11 Months old sitting down and waking often to get the pacifier back  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: 11 Months old sitting down and waking often to get the pacifier back
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 13:12:54 pm »
I am so happy that you have seen improvements in his night sleep and the number of NW. And that he settles easily. So now this NW. Seems to be UT to me, but! let's see first how your routine looks like. Can you post your detailed routine? Sleep, food (solids and milk)?  We will check if there is anything we can tweak.
~Marta

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 13:59:35 pm »
Indeed he settles easily for bed time, and we are so happy about that. I have to say that I stay sat next to his crib until he totally falls asleep. Should I try already leaving the room once I see him looking for the right position in the crib?
Here goes my DS routine (from Monday to Friday he goes to Day care from 8.15 - 15:15, but we keep the routine in the weekends) The main nap is always at a set time by the Day care for all the children from 13:00-15:00. They put the blinds down and keep the place "quiet".

E. Breakfast - only nursing 6.00 (for 20 minutes non stop)
WU 7:15
S 10:00-10:30 It is kind of a cat nap. They put him to sleep following his cues. Some days he does not sleep it.
E 11:30 vegetables + meat or fish puree. Fruits pure. Always eats very well
S 13:00 - 14:30
E 15:30 Nurse for 20 minutes. Fruits puree
E 18:45 vegetables + meat or fish puree. Yogurt
19:00 Nurse
19:25 bath
19:35 wind down = pajamas, music, prayer
19:40 placed in the crib
S19:45 Asleep
We are introducing small pieces of fruit, fish, bread, but it is currently more as an experience than a proper meal.

Anything that stands out regarding the routine?

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 08:26:32 am »
The last 2 nights we have gone worse... instead of 1 long NW that lasts 2 hours, we are having also wake ups every hour or every 2 hours. Last night for example at 23.00, 2:00, 4:00, 5:00 (was awake until 6:40). I woke him anyway at 7:30 to take him to day care.
I am really fed up and desperate since every time that I see some improvements they do not last.... like when I stopped with the night feeds, when I removed the pacifier, or recently when we started putting our DS totally awake in the crib and he fell asleep independently. But any improvements are really short lived and we continue with the same nightmare.
When DS woke up last night, the first 3 times, I only had to take his hand and then he calmed and resumed sleeping. However at 5 he was sat down and was angry... and it was impossible to make him sleep. I was next to him by his crib trying with PU/PD, and at 6 I nursed him since I thought he might be hungry (I consider this his breakfast) but afterwards he was still fully awake and getting every time more angry. At 6:30 I called DH and he managed to make him sleep holding him in his arms.
I am currently without any hope :-(

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 08:50:05 am »
Now that my DS always is falling asleep at BT and at naps by his own in the crib, my DH and I have realized that he is very capable of going back to sleep without introducing accidental parenting. We have taken the decision of seriously implementing PU/PD and never again allow him to fall asleep whilst holding, walking...etc.
As I previously mentioned, on the long NWs due to desperation from our side, we had to hold him and/or walk him, since he was very angry and mad. Last night we have not done that. We stayed and comfort DS with our voice and some strokes (ear plugs on). We realized that with the accidental parenting we were deploying a new habit/prop that did not encourage DS to fall back to sleep on his own. Let's see if soon we start getting less and shorter NWs...

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 12:12:40 pm »
Oh Honey Please hold on for a while. I am so sorry I am so slow with responding but my Adaś is ill and I am 37w pregnant and life is just too hectic last couple of days. I will post with some comments re food in next days ok? For now let's see if your attempts will help!
~Marta

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 08:03:13 am »
Martini. Thanks so much, and do not worry. I understand since I have been there. I really hope that your boy gets better soon. Also my best wishes for your pregnancy. According to my experience the 2nd child delivery was easy peace :-)  And breastfeeding (if you want to) is easier too. Let me know if I can be any help.

Just a good update for last night. My DS2 slept from 7:45pm to 5:00am non-stop. Woho! At 5 I re-settle him in 15 minutes just holding his hand, and at 5:45 we woke up again and he did not return to sleep until I gave him breakfast at 6:30. For the last 2 days we have given him 240ml of formula that he drunk in 5 minutes (instead of the 20minutes+ with breast feeding). Then he continued sleeping until 7:30. We have decided to switch breakfast to formula so I can get a better life. Also, we have agreed not to feed him before 6:30.  It is confusing to know if eating is a habit or is a need... At this point in time (almost 1 yo) we cannot tell if our DS crying is hunger or whatever... Lets hope that we keep getting more nights with long sleep stretches :-)

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 08:12:58 am »
Hi there! We have improved in terms of independent sleeping. Whilst going to sleep for BT and naps was always quite easy, without the pacifier and without any other props it works fine as well. The last prop I guess is my presence in the room. Currently when DS wakes up we can calm him just with our voice or touching his hand a little. The issue still is that he continues waking so often, every 2 hours or even less. Then around 5 in the morning it is difficult for him to continue sleeping and he cries a lot since he gets nervous. At that point we calm him down with music, in our arms, and when he stops crying and relaxes, before he falls asleep, we place him in the crib (a number of times) until he settles and continues sleeping.
The last 4 nights have been terrible, because of one new teeth and the vaccinations side effects (so many more teeth yet to come :-(((. Yesterday I slept in the same room, by the crib, with a futon mattress in order to get at least some rest.

I wonder when we will start getting some positive results from the more independent sleep. Any suggestions would be very welcomed. Perhaps I should start posting in the Toddlers board since DS first birthday took place a few days ago...

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 08:18:53 am »
Have you considered him being hungry? Am I right that he has only 2 solid meals and 3x nurse?
Has he any solid breakfast? Has he any dinner followed by nursing?
~Marta

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 08:56:48 am »
There is always a doubt about it, if he will be hungry... The thing is that once he eats his breakfast he does not fall asleep immediately, it takes him some time, and occasionally he gets up for the day, so not sure. Furthermore he is really large (percentile 95) and heavy (percentile 80) so he is getting enough calories according to his pediatrician, not getting any slimmer ;-)
Currently he eats 3 solid meals, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. I have tried to feed him more before taking him to Day care, but it is impossible. He is a spirited baby so he never eats more than what he wants, he gets mad if you insist in :-) quite a temper! Regarding nursing I only do it before afternoon tea, and after dinner. For breakfast I have substituted it by a bottle (so I can delegate in DH). Any suggestion regarding when/how I could give DS more food to prevent night hunger (in case there is any)? If improving my cooking can improve my nights, I promise that I can be a Master chef  :P

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 14:33:16 pm »
So my favourite plan for eating over 1 is:
7/8am breakfast with a glass of milk
9:30/10am snack/morning tea around 50-100g
12:00/12:30 lunch 200-250g: meat + veggie
2:30/3:00pm snack - around 50-100g
5/5:30pm dinner: carbs here - as they are full of calories for night
7pm nurse or bottle

The thing with big babies is that they usually need a lot of calories as they need energy!

Quite important is to offer nursing a good while after dinner so he can have a bigger portion. Possible and achievable for you? It's not about being a masterchef:D.
~Marta

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 08:42:45 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. What carbs do you give for dinner?

By the way, the last 2 nights we have only had 1 NW at 5 or 5:30. This is amazing. We do not want to get too excited since tonight we may have a bad night again.. Nevertheless really happy. We did not include any changes food wise or timing yet.  The only thing that we can think of is that the radiator had some small light on the display and we have blocked this light so it is black pitch. Who knows?
Let's see and fingers crossed.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 08:52:46 am »
It can be also just patience and consequence. Sometimes you see the final results just after 10-14 days from the start is sleep training. In terms of food, I usually went for potate, pasta, rice or some no gluten or no wheat cereal like corn or rice, so its nutritious but light and easy to digest before BT. It would be also wise to separate this last BF from dinner so he takes a bigger nursing portion and can last till morning.
~Marta

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 08:54:30 am »
Ahhh and I would push that second nap till 1:30 maybe so he sleeps a tad longer and have short A till BT as 2:30-7:30 or later can be too much for him.
~Marta

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2016, 13:17:04 pm »
Thanks for the excellent advice and suggestions. I will try to put as much as possible into practice.  The only problem I see regarding nap time and lunch time is that both take place in the kindergarten and they have standard times for that for everyone. So lunch is at 11:30 and nap from 1 to 3 (they put the blinds down and everything is quiet).
I have missed to mention that for the last 2 days my DS only slept 1 nap (2 hours) so perhaps too much sleep during the day had an influence.
Anyway, lets see if we get on with the trend of only 1 NW and I would be extremely satisfied :-)

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 15:22:35 pm »
Just an update. The last 2 nights have been excellent. We cannot believe it. It is already 4 nights in a row with just the breakfast NW that everyday takes place a little bit later. Last night DS slept from 8 to 6:35 non stop then he had his milk and continue sleeping till 8:00. We have no changed anything else but made the room perfectly dark and of course the other things leading to independent sleeping. Finally we are sleeping!!! Fingers crossed let's hope that this continues.