Author Topic: EW 2.5 year old  (Read 1809 times)

Offline KatrinaW

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
EW 2.5 year old
« on: November 07, 2016, 13:50:58 pm »
DS stopped napping almost a year ago now. He has his occasional nap days, but they are few and far between. Problem is he has some 5/5:30am wake ups or some days he wakes in the middle of the night for hours at a time. He's asleep by 6:45pm - thoughts?

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: EW 2.5 year old
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 14:10:18 pm »
Today he was up at 4:20am 😴 I did get him down for snap yesterday but he woke up screaming about 45 minutes into it

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 14:35:15 pm »
Hi any teeth on the move? My DS1 had nap refusal and lots of Ew at this age and we put it down to language explosion.
Zoe

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 14:37:22 pm »
Wow that is an early start, you have my sympathy, my 2 like to be up early too.  He dropped his nap pretty young, didn't he?  Would you say he is low sleep needs?

The EWs could be half-birthday craziness (often kids have developmental leaps and associated sleep disruption around birthdays and half birthdays), or could be teething, alternatively could be UT/OT.

How long have the EWs & NWs been going on? If it's a recent thing it could be a developmental thing, and might sort himself out in a week or 2.

Can you resettle to sleep at all if you get an EW, especially if it's before 5.30?

Any sign of teeth? Do teething feels etc help him to resettle if he wakes early?

If none of the above and he no longer naps/ a nap is giving you even earlier waking the next day, then the only thing you have left to tweak is BT. Have you tried playing around with earlier or later BTs and seeing if that makes a difference?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 14:44:47 pm »
Hmmm is he an extreme LSN baby? Dropping to no naps at 18mo is the biggest extreme I have ever heard :). How long was his night after dropping a nap?
~Marta

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 15:55:57 pm »
Hi any teeth on the move? My DS1 had nap refusal and lots of Ew at this age and we put it down to language explosion.
He has all his teeth and has for quite some time now. He has been talking in sentences since before he turned two.

He dropped his nap pretty young, didn't he?  Would you say he is low sleep needs?
He did, my oldest will still occasionally nap and he's 5! He is lower sleep needs but I have a feeling its possibly a UT/OT cycle or just OT.

How long have the EWs & NWs been going on? If it's a recent thing it could be a developmental thing, and might sort himself out in a week or 2.
Its been a few months. Normally when he wakes early I can get him down for a nap that day, put him to bed around 8pm and he will go back to a 6/6:30am wake time. Yesterday he crashed at 7:30pm so I'm thinking because of the waking crying from his nap and super early wake up that he was OT at bedtime? He woke at 4:20am crying and he needed to go to the bathroom.

Can you resettle to sleep at all if you get an EW, especially if it's before 5.30?
He never resettles. My oldest was like this too, if for whatever reason he wakes throughout the night, he is awake for hours. If he's awake after 5am he never goes back to sleep. I don't take him out of his room until 6:30am regardless of when he wakes up.

If none of the above and he no longer naps/ a nap is giving you even earlier waking the next day, then the only thing you have left to tweak is BT. Have you tried playing around with earlier or later BTs and seeing if that makes a difference?
We could try an earlier bedtime. At 6/6:30pm BT he crashes, I sing him 3 songs and he is usually asleep by the time I'm done. What would you try 5:30pm?

Hmmm is he an extreme LSN baby? Dropping to no naps at 18mo is the biggest extreme I have ever heard . How long was his night after dropping a nap?
He will be 3 at the very end of February so he dropped his nap right around 22 months. This was also the same time he potty trained and started speaking in 12 word sentences. We have always kept his days to 12 hours or less. He was napping before he dropped it for about 1.5hrs but then wouldn't go to bed until 9pm and be up at 6/6:30am so when he dropped the nap he ended up actually getting more sleep at 12 sometimes 13 hours.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 17:06:05 pm »
Hmmm from 6:45 till 5:30 its almost 11h night. I would say it's low but if at 22mo he was at 12h I would say it can be just a drop in his sleep needs. Even if only temporary I just curious if this is a normal drop which will stabilize at 11h finally and that's all you will get.
~Marta

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 19:43:53 pm »
Hmmm from 6:45 till 5:30 its almost 11h night. I would say it's low but if at 22mo he was at 12h I would say it can be just a drop in his sleep needs. Even if only temporary I just curious if this is a normal drop which will stabilize at 11h finally and that's all you will get.

And if that's the case he'd need a push to a later BT instead of an earlier one. 
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline KatrinaW

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 05:42:18 am »
He's back to a 6am wake up after a 2.5hr nap with an early BT still. Problem is this will only last for so long and then he will start waking early again.