Author Topic: Swaddle weaning  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Benitta23

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 09, 2016, 12:56:29 pm »
Hi,

I have a question regarding swaddle weaning. My 5 months old daughter is on 4h easy schedule. She sleeps very good at night from 7 p.m. to 6am. She has 2 longer naps during the day and 1 cat nap. I'd like to stop to swaddle her, but it's neary impossible. When she's swaddled she sleeps like 2h-2.5. When I try to loosen the swaddle, she wakes up after 20 min, moves her hands from the swaddle and starts to play and sing. Even if she's able to sleep for a whole cycle, during the transition she wakes up totally and ofcourse escapes from the swaddle. She often has problems with transition even if she's well swaddled. She wakes up for 15 min but she's able fall asleep again. I have to mention that. l use a swaddling blanket with wings like in the miracle blanket, because she 3 escapes from a tipical blanket. She' s been sleeping like that even in the carrier. I' m a little bit worried how I'll be able to teach her to sleep unswaddled. In Tracy's book, it's recomended to swaddle even until 8m. Do you have any experience with swaddling for that long? Can I do her any harm regarding development stages when carry on with swaddling? My daughter still doesn't roll over from back to tummy. I'd be very thankful for any advises/tips

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Swaddle weaning
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 13:06:19 pm »
She sounds to me like she is perhaps a little undertired for her naps if she is waking mid-nap, and that without the familiar comfort of the swaddle she is waking entirely.  A bit more A time may be helpful if she is currently on a standard 2h awake, 2h nap EASY. 

With the swaddle if she isn't rolling there's no major push to wean it now.  I know several Mums here have used it until 7/8 months with LOs who didn't roll and had no issues.  There's some useful info on this sticky thread - Weaning the swaddle - when, how, tips and tricks :D

Offline Benitta23

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 20:39:05 pm »
I tink I tried everything to not to swaddle. Putting her for a nap UT/OT, in a sleeping bag/in a loosen swaddle. She just wakes up every time, when she's not properly swaddled. Is it possible that she's just totaly unready to start sleeping without swaddle? Is it possible at this age (5mo)? Maybe I'm not consistent egnough,  and I should try it at least for several days.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Swaddle weaning
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 13:16:27 pm »
It's possible she may not be ready, in which case there really is no rush unless she is rolling.  But like any change it will take time to get used to so yes consistency over a few days would be key x