Author Topic: Can someone help me tweak our routine to help with early waking??  (Read 3993 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Can someone help me tweak our routine to help with early waking??
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 16:49:15 pm »
Hi there - just posting to let you know I've seen your recent post. I only have one minute right now but wanted to let you know I will be back later to have a proper read after my DS is in bed.
hang in there. These things never last for ever even when it looks like there is no way out.

Offline Laineybobs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 19:24:18 pm »
Thank you!

Just to let you know how rest of the day has gone - he did a 40 min catnap from 1550 til 1639 and woke up happy. He then fed at 5 quickly; then we did wind down, bath, feed off both sides and asleep at 715. Any help would be appreciated!!

Offline Laineybobs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 20:19:17 pm »
He's just woken up after. Won't asleep an hour crying? Is that OT? We have him pain meda before bed incase of teething?

Offline creations

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 22:26:47 pm »
Hi there.  I'm sure you must be feeling frustrated and tired with all this disturbed sleep.  Please know it really will pass.  I remember this period myself and found it exhausting.  For us the phase of disturbed sleep for the 4 month regression lasted from 3.5 months to 5.5 months (it is often 4-6 months). I clearly remember it ending, what a relief!  You will get through this!

A lot of what you've mentioned sounds like teething, have you checked his gums? Anything cutting?  Although you said you gave pain meds, at the worst times of teething (cutting through the gum, just before and after) pain meds don't appear to touch it even though they really must be doing something.  Apart from the short naps, disturbed nights and decreased appetite have you noticed any other symptoms? Maybe red cheeks, gumming, drooling, rubbing at face or ears, nappy rash?
Might be something to think about.

S 1245 - again woke after 40 again despite me doing W2S which used to work / but got him back off for 2 hours

E 3
A

And this is where day went a bit wrong!! He wouldn't catnap and seemed happy so I tried to push trough and do EBT but by 6 he was grizzly so I fed him one side, changed him into nighttime and fed him other side and put him to bed. He was asleep by 630.

He then woke at 730, and then again at 830 and was up then til 1130. I fed him at 930 to see if it would help and he did get sleepy but wouldn't go to sleep. took him into bed and he slept til 130, fed again and was unsettled again so kept him in bed beside me.He then slept til 330 and then woke again and then I can't really remember what happened but I woke at 5 and he was asleep beside me so I put him back in his crib and he slept til 620
All of this could fit with teething, either painful movement of teeth or cutting through the gum.
However if it is not that then it could also be OT related. As he refused his CN you ended up with a very long A time before BT which can give these multiple NWs.  I would suggest you get him to bed no longer than 3hrs following a good nap.  So here it looks like he napped for 2 hrs from 12.45 to 2.45pm and I would suggest he needed to be in bed asleep at 5.45pm.  At the point when you realise he isn't going to take the CN you will be very short on time, move directly to your BT routine.
So here is an example:
S good nap 12.45 - 2.45 (whether you used W2S or not)
E 3pm
A 2hr
CN attempt 4.30 you want LO asleep by 4.45pm LO refuses, you try for a further 15 mins until 5pm then stop.
5pm start BT routine, very quick bath or top and tail, nappy change, into pjs,
5.30 E and WD
S for BT at 5.45pm

It is very rushed I know but it might help you get a better night.

WRT routine.
Perhaps you can try a first A time of 3hrs as it does look like he is relatively happy on this and sleeps reasonably well on it.
The W2S I suggest the shush/pat (or firm hand or stroking/rubbing, gentle movement/rock in cot) through the transition method so begin at around 30/35 mins and see him through the 40 min transition. I feel this works better than the method where you disturb him and let him transition alone as he is less likely to fully wake if you are there re-settling before he's even disturbed or right at the disturbance. Lull him back to sleep before fully waking if you can.  Here's a link with the 2 options for this method described:
How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

Let's assume 2 good naps, with a long first A time, his other A times can 2.5hrs and he might make it through the day without the CN that is so difficult. eg:
WU 7
A 3hr
S 10 - 12
A 2.5hr
S 2.30 - 4.30
A 2.5hr
BT 7

However if either nap is short you will need to reassess the day as it happens and either go for a CN or EBT.

hope this helps

Offline Laineybobs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 07:09:52 am »
Hello!
Yes that all makes sense! As it happens after he woke at 8 last night he went back off easily, 5£3£ woke at 1030 for DF; he then slept until 3am and then again til 615 so I really do think teething is playing a part in it all! He is drooling and chewing his hands constantly!! I'll see how he does when naps today but thank you so much for replying!! Good to know I'm not on my own and it will pass!!

Offline creations

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 09:19:45 am »
Oh you are certainly not on your own. We have all been through these tricky times and seek support from the BW members :)  I arrived on the forums when my LO was around 4 months old, and I've never left. Mine will be 6 years old soon!

It really does sound like teething is causing a lot of this.  Hang in there.