Author Topic: Frequent night waking, taking sooo long to get back to sleep & super short naps!  (Read 4303 times)

Offline ..Claire..

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

Offline ..Claire..

• Showing Appreciation 0
So the past few days I've started with 3 hrs A time, with A time reduced to 2.5 hrs for subsequent naps, and a bit less before bedtime so it's not pushed too late (though tonight I had to reduce it to 1.5 hrs as he was so tired and cranky). Naps are getting worse again, 4 naps to day totalling 45 minutes! I'm really not sure whether I should be increasing A time any more... maybe I've taken it too far? Scared in case I am making things worse for him  ???

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
45min naps are classic UT hun.  I would try to keep the A time at 3hrs as he is 6 months now?  If the first nap is short I'd even venture to say to push to 3.10 or 3.15. 

Offline ..Claire..

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks Lindsay. Actually, the naps were one 15 minute one and 3x 10 minute ones, making 45 mins in total!   :'(

Yes, he is 6 months and one week now. Where does the time go?!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:02:25 am by ..Claire.. »

Offline Lindsay27

Oh jeepers! Sorry I thought you meant each nap was 45mins.  Well that makes for a long day doesn't it?  Give he is a bit over 6 months now I still recommend sticking with 3+hr A times, reducing as necessary when naps are short.  How does he typically fall asleep? I think I would stick around in the room if you can for the first 20mins to help him get into a deeper sleep if necessary/when he's stirring. 

I know I asked about his reflux before, but I do wonder if it is playing a part.  Short nap are normal, but usually 30 or 45mins...naps less than that I tend to think that there is some kind of discomfort at play which is not allowing an LO to fall into a deep sleep.  You said he was on Gaviscon? I might get some reflux ladies over here as I know many of them have found the Gaviscon to be not all that effective and have required Ranitidine or Omeprazole to truly control it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 16:34:45 pm by Lindsay27 »

Offline ..Claire..

• Showing Appreciation 0
Hi Lindsay, yes it does indeed! I increased to 3hrs 15 yesterday, first nap he got to 25 minutes (I had stayed with him until just before this), then his second nap was over an hour! (the same happened the first day I increased his A time to 2hrs 45... maybe just a coincidence).

The night before he also slept through the night!  :o 10hrs 45min.

For falling asleep, and both naps and bt,  I hold him until he is very sleepy before I put him down. He also has a dummy, though always spits it out before going to sleep. I know I really should start some sleep training, it's just such a thought when you're so tired anyway!

I guess maybe his reflux could be bothering him, though he certainly doesn't seem bothered when he is awake. He does however usually take a long time to take his bottles, but I've always put that down to him being a snack-feeder at heart.

Offline Lindsay27

I increased to 3hrs 15 yesterday, first nap he got to 25 minutes (I had stayed with him until just before this), then his second nap was over an hour! (the same happened the first day I increased his A time to 2hrs 45... maybe just a coincidence).

The night before he also slept through the night!   10hrs 45min.
Sounds like good progress!  I think I found that around 6/7 months our A times kind of stabilized at 3.15-3.5hr so I think as long as you are staying "on top" of the A times so to speak, you should see naps continue to improve and/or stabilize. 

For falling asleep, and both naps and bt,  I hold him until he is very sleepy before I put him down. He also has a dummy, though always spits it out before going to sleep. I know I really should start some sleep training, it's just such a thought when you're so tired anyway!
Holding him until he is very sleepy is a good start, you can go from that point to reducing the amount of time you hold him gradually, and staying with him and resettling with holding and/or shh/pat when he stirs and wakes, trying not to pick him up, so he eventually learns to settle himself and move through sleep cycles on his own.  The fact that you got a nap over and hour is a good sign that he does know how to do this, he just may need a bit of encouragement for the first nap.  Having a paci isn't a problem if they can continue to fall asleep when it falls out, or if they have learned to put it back in themselves.  I usually leave several in the crib for my DD so if she needs it she just finds one and pops it back in.

He does however usually take a long time to take his bottles, but I've always put that down to him being a snack-feeder at heart.
Are you using the fastest level teat?

Offline ..Claire..

• Showing Appreciation 0
Thanks for the reply Lindsay, yes I feel we are making some sort of progress, at last! Thanks again for all your help.

I'll try to make some progress on putting him down after less time holding him, hopefully that won't be too difficult.

To answer your question about the teat, yes we are using the fastest flow teat. He can drink it fairly quickly when he wants to, but usually wants to stop after a few Oz,  have a look around,  maybe play with his bib etc and is stop and start till he's finally had enough! ::)

Offline Lindsay27

Let us know how you get on honey 😊