Author Topic: 8wo short naps advice PLEASE  (Read 1723 times)

Offline HaniaJa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 07, 2016, 15:06:02 pm »
Hi,

My DD is 8wo and she goes to sleep independently after given a paci. But the tricky thing is that she ALWAYS wakes up after 45 min defenitely willing to sleep more but being unable to go back to sleep by herself. I give her paci back and she resettles for a few min, but her sleep is so light that she starts being fussy and crying a second after paci falls out. So I sit there and put the paci back everytime it falls out (several dozens of times!!!) for the rest of the nap time. But I have a feeling that it doesn't make sense at all, it's insane and creates bad habit...
Please, give me some advice how to teach her to go back to sleep...should I use shh/pat with/without paci? (I try to do this, but I have a feeling that it doesn't matter, Because paci is the main "soother", but it obviously doesn't work properly if she cries everytime it falls out...)
We have  1 hr A time or a bit less.
During the night she sleeps without paci.
I wouldn't like to get rid of paci, Because after DS I know that it's gonna be helpful on many occasions...

Any ideas? ???

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: 8wo short naps advice PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 20:55:06 pm »
Hi

The 45 min nap thing is a common problem at this age and is developmental. It could also be he needs a slightly longer A time. The average is 1hr 15 at 2 months. Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

The advice is not to take away a paci under 6 months as it can increase the risk of SIDS so I would suggest ssh pat with it. I used to hold it in for my daughter until she fell asleep and then came back and popped it back in before the 45 min mark.

Lauren

Offline HaniaJa

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 09:23:47 am »
Thank You, I'll try to make her A time longer, maybe her being fussy after 50min is just being bored. I'll let You know how it works:)

Offline HaniaJa

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:39:26 am »
Hello again!
Well, I made her A time longer, but to be honest it didn't change a lot:( she wakes up after 45min, obviously still tired and what I have to do is to sit with her for the next 1hr and plug the paci in every 5-10min...I'm really sick of this...it really doesn't matter if I'm using shh/pat in this time Or only give her a paci-the result is the same-she wakes up the second her paci falls out. What should I do?!?:((

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 8wo short naps advice PLEASE
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 23:45:07 pm »
Is it an issue with the paci type maybe? Could a different shape of dummy be easier for her to keep in, I wonder.

I assume you have no reason to think there are any physical reasons she can't keep hold of the dummy like a tongue tie or such?

Is she definitely not hungry?

Have you tried wake to sleep to see if you can get the dummy back in before she wakes up? Maybe 35 mins into the nap would be a good time.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011