Author Topic: 12mo sleep shake up needed!  (Read 1656 times)

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 17, 2016, 22:26:40 pm »
DS has just turned one and i have finally decided enough is enough and we need to do something about his sleep! a little background - 
Hes currently in our room in a cot, he has his own room and cot but due to so many NW we have been reluctant to move him.
He has reflux and allergies but both i feel are now under control, although we do get random large vomits. Hes cmpa so on neocate formula.
He was rocked until we felt his reflux was under control, around 7 months.
His night usually goes like this -
we put him into his sleepbag and give him a bottle up in the bedroom quietly on lap with dimmed lights, wait for him to burp and then lay him down. We then have to give him a bit more bottle in the cot then replace with a dummy. Sometimes he will go to sleep fine, but more often than not we have to keep a hand on him to stop him standing up all the time.
Hes usually asleep 7-8 and first nw is normally 10.30-11 but sometimes 1-2 before then, from that NW he will wake constant anywhere from 8-20 times a night, every night. The only way he will go back to sleep is by giving him a milk bottle, he wont accept his dummy or any comfort unless he has had what he wants out of his bottle. He can go through 32oz of milk a night! we thought he was using the bottle as a prop to go to sleep but he doesnt fall asleep with it and if he starts drifting off and its removed he cries to drink more. At one point he did use milk as a prop but he would drink a little and fall asleep, it would be little and often, where as now he wants 4-6oz a time like he is thirsty/hungry, So im a little confused by it!
I know he needs to go in his own room, we also need to teach him to SS better and reduce the bottles but ive no idea where to start! I just need some sleep after 12 months.
His EASY is either -
Wu before 8 (usually 7-7.30)
nap 10.45 uncapped (will have anywhere from 45min - 1hr 30)
nap 3.5-4hr A time (usually capped at 30min unless bad 1st nap)
bt 7.30/8

WU after 8
nap 12.30
bt 7/7.30

I would love some help with this please!?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 12mo sleep shake up needed!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 07:16:54 am »
Hi Hun with that many wakings and the amount of milk consumed are you sure it's not his reflux causing discomfort?

I'll be back later just dealing with morning chaos and school run lol!
Zoe

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 15:40:53 pm »
I THINK it's under control, he's on 20mg of omeprazole (which is double that of his 4yo sister!) he was on rinitadine as well but we weaned him off that once the omeprazole had gotten into his system. He used to vomit blood, gulp acid, not eat and drink and cry a lot! I've not seen these signs since he's been on omeprazole at 7ish months. I know that doesn't completely mean he's not having issues at night though. I don't think there's much more we or doctors could do now though? We have his cot inclined also. He is a big boy, off the chart for weight and height, he turned one yesterday and already he is two stone. I've tried increasing his food and milk in the day but it makes no difference to the night time.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 19:43:40 pm »
I have been told omeprazole can cause sleep disruption but it didn't for us but our dose was 4mg so way lower.

It does sound like comfort feeding though, I'll get more eyes for you Hun x
Zoe

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 21:39:36 pm »
It could well be that he's in some reflux discomfort at night but I would think the volume of milk he is having is causing it. Given how much he takes you won't get any improvement in the day until you reduce the milk at night.

I think you need to decrease the bottles and decide how many you are prepared to give during the night and stick to that. He's 1 now so if he is eating well during the day he doesn't need milk at night at all, have you been told how much formula he needs in 24 hours as he is dairy free? To reduce bottles the best way I've found is to reduce the volume by 1oz every 3 nights so they gradually adjust to having less in their stomachs.

Pick the times you will feed , for example the first waking and then not sooner than 4 hours after that wake up. Offer a 4oz bottle the first 3 nights then offer 3oz for the next 3 nights etc. Once you get to 1oz you can offer a little sip of water. He will need to be resettled and if you do it you have to stick to it, there is no point putting him through upset to then cave and give more milk.

You could also just go cold turkey and stop giving bottles at night and offer a sip of water and resettle. It would mean a few really difficult nights but it would be done, I wouldn't expect it last much longer than 3 or 4 nights for him to get the message. If it is the reflux having all that milk sloshing around isn't helping and he would be much better off without it.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 22:24:24 pm »
We see the dietitian in 2 weeks time so can ask about milk intake then. Up until 3 months ago we struggled getting more than 10oz in 24 hours into him, he vomited every calcium supplement up too. So when he started taking milk at night I made the mistake of letting him because I felt happier knowing he was at least getting his Calcium requirement. I guess it's just spiralled and possibly causing a vicious cycle.
At the moment my instinct is to go with the cold turkey approach I think it would just suit his personality better but will talk to DH about which he thinks first.
Either way I can see him getting very distressed, what's the best way of dealing with that?
Would you get him sleeping better in our room first then move him? Or move him then start cutting down his milk?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 07:22:29 am »
It's so hard isn't it when they don't eat Hun don't worry you just did what was best at the time no mistake but now you need to get your sleep back.

Personally I'd do whatever stresses you the least but if it was me I'd just move him and start cutting down milk as if your going to be disturbed with cutting out milk you might as well do the lot..x
Zoe