Author Topic: Reflux? Silent reflux?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline mariarico

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 30, 2016, 12:17:08 pm »
I have a 4 week old and I'm not sure if he has silent reflux?
What were your lo signs or symptoms?

He drink 3oz pumped breast milk then we take a break for 10 min and then he drinks 1 more Oz.
Sometimes he chokes and sputters on bottle, he's on a preemie nipple

Mine doesn't really spit up much, but he hates laying flat on his back, has hard time falling asleep and staying asleep, and he grunts and fidgets a lot

Help would be appreciated!

Offline LBubs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:54:07 pm »
My LO is 3 months and we've just been down this road extensively. He has silent reflux really bad.

When he was about 4 weeks, he would take a bottle but with some struggle. I thought he just had gas problems because he would fuss and scrunch. I didn't know what silent reflux was and since he wasn't spitting up, I never thought it was reflux at all. The pediatrician told us to look for his physical reaction -- is your LO arching their back and straining their neck? It looks like he/she is trying to stretch out. If so, they are trying to stretch the esophagus to keep the liquid from coming back up. Mine would do that extensively and would whimper/whine when laid flat on his back. It wasn't until we started elevating his bed that it relieved some of the pain for sleeping.

After our 1 month appointment, the doctor put him on Zantac 2x a day and eventually we added rice cereal to all his bottles to thicken it up. That helped, but with Zantac every time his weight changed, he needed a bigger dose (which was every week). We eventually had to switch to Prevacid (stronger) and that has seemed to really help.

In terms of his bed -- he had been in the pack 'n play, which we elevated. It wasn't enough. We ended up buying the Dexbaby Daydreamer which holds him at a good 30 degree angle and straps him in. He is safe and can sleep. It has made a world of difference.

I hope this helps!