Author Topic: 29 month old refusing nap  (Read 1537 times)

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 18, 2016, 20:43:35 pm »
Hi,

LO started day care 3 weeks ago. LO has refused napping at day care for past 2 days. They have told me at day care that she does not really seem tired when she says she does not want to rest. I'm thinking she might not want to nap because some of the other kids have not been napping either and also maybe she is in some phase. She is maybe also getting to know the children and adults and feel safer there now that she has been there for a while maybe and testing boundries?

She goes to day care Mon-Fri 9 am-3 pm and seems to be enjoying it. She was tired initially when she started and would go down for nap somewhere around 12:20-1 pm and sleep for 1 hr (I asked them to cap her nap to 1 hr). Before she started day care she was with me and used to sleep for 1.25 hrs for nap, but had to reduce to 1 hr about a month back as it would take her long to settle at BT. I would say she is toward LSN, but don't think she is LSN. Do you think it is time for her to stop napping this soon?

Her nap has slowly been moved later and later for past half year (before winter saving time she would nap around 1:45 pm) and now at home during weekend she seems to fall asleep later also (around 1:15-1:30 pm). I have to say that she has been doing much better than I expected with no nap for these 2 past days. She has been tired around 6:30 pm and before that has been fine.

If she does need napping I'm worried that now that she is sleeping more than 11 hrs at night with no nap she won't be tired enough for napping during the day. I know its just been for 1 night and 2 nights tonight but going forward I don't know what to do.

This is what her EASY looked like before no nap:
WU anywhere around 6:45-7:10 am (past 7 am sometimes after started day care
Nap home: around 1:15-1:30 pm for 45 mins-1 hr depending on when she falls asleep waking her latest 2:20 pm
BT put to bed 7:20 pm if really tired otherwise 7:30 pm and asleep around 8/8:15 pm

Past 2 days with no nap:
WU this morning 6:50 am
BT put to bed 7 pm and asleep 7:15 pm!! (she never falls asleep after 15 mins unless she has high fever)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 29 month old refusing nap
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 07:30:14 am »
Hi there, it's not unusual at this age for them to start dropping naps. It might just be too interesting st nursery to sleep.

It might be that she does a couple of no nap days then you have a day with a nap then a couple of no naps etc. It sounds like she's doing great with no naps and as long as you dont let her day get too long the OT shouldn't creep in.

The 1-0 transition can takes ages and it is a kind of go with the flow kind of thing. I had to force a nap of 20 mins around 3pm some days just to keep DS1 going till bedtime. Anything longer he'd be cranky or up till 10pm.
If she won't nap at home just set up the sofa so it's nice and comfy and read books or watch some tv together, another tactic is quiet time in their room if they will do it (.mine won't too nosey)
Zoe

Offline NinNic

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 18:36:43 pm »
Hi,

Thanks so much for advice!  :)

Do I keep her days to about 12 hr days when not napping?

She did nap Sat-Mon and then no nap today at day care. Great to know that it might take long to transition to no nap. I do think its good for her to still have naps as she is at day care 5 days a week.

Thanks again!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 29 month old refusing nap
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 19:45:33 pm »
Your welcome, yes I'd do 12 hours max some need less 11/11.5 hours but that was never possible for us with work and Nursery pick ups.

Sounds like she's doing great x
Zoe