Author Topic: Waking a sleeping baby  (Read 1379 times)

Offline My little Liam

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
Waking a sleeping baby
« on: November 22, 2016, 14:00:27 pm »
My DD is 5 weeks old and usually has to be woken at the 3hr mark to eat and to keep to the 3hr EASY. Should i be waking her or should i let her wake naturally to eat even if it is 3.5-4hr from the last feed?

Also, i dtart our day with her at the moment around 830/9am but she seems to fall asleep at night only around 1030/11pm and it feels as if she treats her first nap as a continuation of her night and only really wakes around 12. What can i do to make her fall asleep earler so we can get ga better schedule?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Waking a sleeping baby
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 20:09:15 pm »
Hey and congratulations!

I think the 'by the book' way is to keep to waking at the 3h mark, the idea being to get most of the calories in during the day and get a long stretch of sleep at night.  That said, I wasn't that strict with mine and would let them go a longer stretch of sleep at least once in the day if it seemed they needed it. 

If you want to get to a better schedule you can try gradually moving everything forward by 15 mins every few days - this worked really well for us with DD.  But I do think time helps too - some very young LOs just seem to have that late night late wake up thing, and it naturally does move earlier as they get older x