Author Topic: Wakes every time I put him down  (Read 6886 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:26:19 pm »
Anyone have any tips ?... Before nap I sit with lo until he's drowsy and put him in crib he instantly wakes up. I've tried putting him down asleep I've tried putting him in awake. This was never a problem until recently. Yesterday I couldn't get him to sleep at all. He was up from 12 until 530! Any time I put him down he woke and then I'm sure the ot set in.

Offline ..Claire..

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 18:31:31 pm »
My DS was also like that for a while, it's so hard! I found putting him down gradually, legs first, then bottom, then back, then shoulders and lastly head helped a lot. It didn't solve the problem but helped a lot. I think I also kept my hands on him for a minute or so after he was down also helped.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 13:16:01 pm »
But it's to the point where I can't get him to nap. This morning I had to pick him up 4 times.  He wakes around 615 I try to get him down for a nap by 8 because I need to leave for school drop off by 845. So if I can't get him down by 8 I have to wait until I'm home at 915 if he hasn't already taken a cn in the car he's ot by the time I get him down in crib.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Wakes every time I put him down
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 18:52:15 pm »
Thanks for paying it forward ..Claire.. it's very much appreciated, and welcome to BW forums :)
I think your tip is great, I remember struggling when mine was very little for a while and I even put him to sleep on a blanket on the floor so I could put him down slowly and keep my hands and body close to him during the movement and adjustment! The things we do to keep a baby asleep!!

CV - how old is LO now?
I think last time we caught up you were napping him in a swing, is that right?  Is he in the cot for all naps now or some still in the swing and in the car?  Just trying to get an idea of the situation.
Do you feel he has been sleep trained?  Was he self settling?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 19:47:35 pm »
Hi there no he's been in the crib  for a good 2-3  months at least.  When its naptime we will go into his room in the dark with the white noise machine I change his diaper put a swaddle blanket on his legs and sit with him in the chair and rock or just sit with no movement for a bit sing a song until he gets sleepy and closes his eyes then I put him in the crib. He almost always cries and squirms around for a while. Most of the time when I put him down he starts crying. I've tried putting him in awake and also after he's asleep for a bit. What does it mean to be sleep trained? At night I have no problems. He settles after night feedings etc. 9 times out of 10 he sleeps for 30 mins. He's 4.5 months now and I'm desperate for better naps. He's average a time is 2 hrs but it can be 1.5 hrs after a few cns or this afternoon it was almost 2.5 hrs. Last night he was up from 230 until bedtime at 630!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 20:24:29 pm »
His easy today:

Awake at 615
E at 730 (he had just eaten at 330 am)
Tried to put down for nap with no luck
S 930-10
E 1045
S 1140-1215
E 2
S 240-310

So 3 30-40 min naps

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 18:47:25 pm »
There is some info on sleep training here:
Sleep Training  - the early days
And a thread here for sleep training at 3-5 months
Teaching Sleep to Babies of 3-5 months (and the 45 min nap)

In short sleep training means you have taught your baby to be confident to sleep alone. This means that there is a wind down whereby baby knows what is coming next, he is relaxed but awake and you put him in the cot awake say good night and leave the room. A baby who has been sleep trained and has become an independent sleeper will be happy to be left and will self settle and fall to sleep. At the 40 min mark when they come out of sleep they can transition alone into the next sleep cycle.

Being able to sleep long periods at night is not an indication that baby is an independent sleeper or has been taught to self settle in the day for naps.  Remarkably I saw with my own DS and again with lots of other babies on the boards that babies can have habits *per sleep* so they can have the habit of napping one way for one nap and another way for another nap. My own was in a routine and habit of sleeping in his cot for the first nap and in the car for his second nap. I created that habit due to our family needs and circumstances.  On any day I might choose not to go out in the car in time for that second nap mine was almost impossible to get down for a nap in his cot despite being totally independent and happy there for nap 1.  He would cry to go to the car and shout at me to hurry up!

It isn't just about where LO sleeps, that is just an example, it is how they sleep. Self soothing needs to be taught with your support.  It could well be that your LO is short napping due to the habit of short napping and not being taught to sleep longer.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 21:17:14 pm »
Makes sense! But how do I teach him to sleep longer?! Today he napper in the car for first nap about 25 mins 1 hr 45 min A time then 2 hours a time a took a 2 hr nap which he does on occasion to catch up from not napping. The problem I have is the late afternoon nap I can't get him to take one but can he be up from 145 until bedtime? Last night he went to bed at 630 woke at 3 to eat then up again around 5 I finally resettled him because he's starting to wake early and he slept until 715. We usually follow a 12 hr day 630-630 but I don't think he can stay up from 145-7!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 22:36:02 pm »
But how do I teach him to sleep longer?!
I would suggest reviewing either your BW book for a full and detailed description of how to sleep train, or the links above for sections of information from the books plus tips from the boards.
Sometimes re-reading the book is helpful, if nothing else it refocuses the mind on the end goal of independent sleep and reminds us of the ups and downs of of baby routines. Tracy said EASY wasn't easy and told us to keep our expectations low - wise words which have helped me a great deal.

but can he be up from 145 until bedtime
No. I would say this is not a suitable routine.  Even short CNs are better than that length A time.

I feel your frustration CV x
Many hugs honey

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 00:46:16 am »
Sometimes we simply can't teach them to sleep longer.  All we can do is give the tools and skills and the rest is developmental and them teaching themselves how to sleep longer.  It is very much something that comes with time.  Have a good wind down routine, have appropriate A times, and the rest will come on his time.  You can't make a baby sleep honey, all you can do is give the appropriate environment, and if a nap is short (which honestly...they are at this age), then scale back and move on with your day. 

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 17:00:04 pm »
Well I just tried putting him into crib for nap awake and it took me 45 mins! I just don't have that kind of time with also having a 3.5 year old. There's got to be other people that have the same issue. I wonder how they get on with sleep training. This isn't going to be doable for me.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 17:44:43 pm »
I'all be back to post later hun, but I think a sort of 'back to basics' is needed.  You are going to need to find a time when you can comitt to sleep training, a weekend when DH/DP is home to help with the older LO, or perhaps over the holidays if both you and DH are going to be home...anyway a period of at least a few days when you can focus on it.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 21:39:49 pm »
I think the other thing to try and remember is that it took 45 mins today but the more you persevere the less time it will take in a few days. I had a not quite 4 year old when I started ST DS2 and he has to have a bit more tv than I'd like or be out on the landing helping me by being quiet with his colouring books etc.

Zoe

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 02:52:24 am »
He took two 20 min naps today ugh. Not only is the sleep training hard and time consuming it's the crying and squirming in my arms before naps that's hard too. Unfortunately even with tv my toddler still gets into trouble when I'm busy with the baby

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 03:33:21 am »
Habe you considered reflux? That's what woke DD1 every single time.