Author Topic: 22 months has been eating so little  (Read 1782 times)

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 06, 2016, 00:55:10 am »
I just wanted to check if it is normal at this age (or periodically when toddler) to start eating tiny amounts at meals. That's what is happening with DD now.
She is not a very enthusiastic eater, but she eats a really good variety of foods. While it has been stressful, we generally allowed to eat as much as she could and the food that she wanted (well a little bit of spoon feeding when she stops, but never forced). Recently she started eating half or third of usual portion and then she says no more. May be an extra spoon or two she would eat  (or stuff her own mouth with something before we get her out of the chair). Some days she has at least one decent meal, but mostly all are tiny and no afternoon snack and also recently no fruit almost. So three times a day on tiny amounts amounts for about 2 weeks. Sometimes she may ask for extra cheese and cracker or nuts after she got out of the table, but I try not to encourage it too much (although either is healthy I worry that meal will be less I important).
She is not loosing weight for now and is energetic. But I do worry if it's normal or we are ignoring something.
Schedule is like this 7:30 Breakfast 11:30 lunch (she may have a dinner roll or banana sometimes around 10 so lunch would be by 12) 3:30 attempted snack 6:00 dinner

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:08:09 am by ele »

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 12:03:23 pm »
For example. Today she ate less than half an apple, less than one piece of bread toast and some cheese.
Yesterday half an egg, some cheese and only few crackers. Lunch she stopped before she ate quarter of bean stew that she usually ate by herself with gusto but lots of cucumber (She likes it).. Dinner just a tiny piece or two of lamb and very little tabouleh salad.

Offline MrsJ80

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 22:38:03 pm »
My lg is nearly 20mths and she's never been a big eater. I have exactly the same worries as you but she is very loud and clear when she tells me "No" she doesn't want anymore. My lg will have a bowl of porridge for breakfast, some milk and a snack before her nap, very often won't eat lunch, she may have an apple or banana for afternoon snack and depending on what's for dinner won't eat much of that either. She will eat carrot and mashed potato and she does like fruit so I try and offer a variety. She'll have some milk before bed but not always.

Could she be teething? They tend to go off food when the teeth are having a push. HV has advised as long as they are not losing weight and taking plenty of fluids not to be too concerned. X

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 22 months has been eating so little
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 00:16:34 am »
I was thinking teeth too, perhaps 2yr molars are on the move?  I agree with pp though, if not losing weight and seems herself I wouldn't be overly concerned.  My DS eats a good variety of foods, but at 4.5yrs honestly eats less quantity wise than my 11 month old DD.  I find sometimes that they kind of slow down and then hit a growth spurt or something and eat like mad for a few days.

Just monitor her and if she seems really off then maybe just mention it to your doctor/HV.

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 00:55:41 am »
Thank you. She seems fine weight wise and unstoppable activity wise. So I try to stop worrying although it's not always easy. One thing for sure we don't make an argument when she says she's done. Thank you for the posts.