Author Topic: Weaning with shush pat  (Read 1274 times)

Offline AngeMullan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 25, 2016, 17:27:15 pm »
Hi there - I think this is my 3rd or 4th post as I'm still struggling with how to best help my 3.5 month old with her naps. She loves her paci and I understand pacifiers help reduce the chance of SIDS so I've given her one both when she's fussy and when she's getting ready for sleep. But since she went from the newborn stage to the infant stage, I'm aware it's now a crutch. She'll spit it out after falling into a deeper sleep but then wakes wanting it but can't retrieve it. She's currently swaddled and in her bassinet; yet another sleep aid. I know I need to transfer her to the crib.

There's part of me that wants to just leave things as is, knowing we'll stop swaddling her around 6 months and by then she'll be able to grab the pacifier by herself. The other part of me feels weaning it now, using shush/pat and letting her fuss for a short time is the better choice as it's removing the crutch and teaching self soothing. Please help. I am going back to work in a month and want to use these last few weeks as wisely as possible. My thought is to move her to the crib and stop using the paci for her two shorter naps to start. Then attempt full nights in the crib with no oaci. How do I do this?

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Weaning with shush pat
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 14:02:54 pm »
Bumping
Sorry you've not had any reply yet, neither of mine would take a dummy (paci) so I have no experience re weaning, Hopefully someone will come along soon who can help
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Weaning with shush pat
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 22:21:19 pm »
Sorry to see you didn't get any replies from people who have experience with this.
Giving you another bump to see if anyone catches the thread higher up the page - but thinking it may also be that people may shy away from advice on paci dropping at this age.
My personal approach would be to keep the paci until 6 months, I believe the SIDS guidance is to not drop the paci cold turkey under 6 months if a baby is reliant on it for sleep (increased SIDS risk) and it does sound like your LO is reliant on it. So as far as I know paci use helps reduce SIDS risk but paci dropping can increase. You might want to look further into this before deciding what to do.

Mine also wouldn't take a paci so I have not been in this position.