Author Topic: Short AM/long PM  (Read 7525 times)

Offline tathi-b

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 05:57:02 am »
Just noticed this post and we are currently having the exact same problem! Our little girl goes down around 10am and when I wake her at -1 she's a grumpy mess and refuses to go down for her pm nap! I might try to let her sleep as long as she wants in the morning and see if I can slowly close the gap between waking from an nap and bed time and keep her 1 nap in the morning. She's a great sleeper and does 12 hour nights so I'm thinking she's just over tired for pm nap?

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Short AM/long PM
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 20:26:27 pm »
Ya the short AM was just not working for us either.  This morning however we had an appointment scheduled during her morning nap time, and she ended up skipping it altogether and I put her down at 1pm and she's been down for 2.5hrs now.  So, it might be time we just run with it.  That said I'm sure if we were home all morning it would have been difficult to keep her going, but we have some local play groups in the morning so I may start taking her to those, good distraction!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 07:51:58 am »
, but we have some local play groups in the morning so I may start taking her to those, good distraction!
This is what I did as my DS turned 1yo.  Prior to 1yo we had always gone to afternoon groups because he was having a long nap in the morning but I just switched the groups we went to.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 10:43:51 am »
K ladies help me out here...I've been doing the short AM/long PM trying to get DD prepared for daycare where they have an afternoon nap at 1pm.  It is giving us these awful 5:30am EWs though.  And whenever I revert back to allowing her to have her long nap in the morning, the EWs disappear even though the amount of day sleep remains the same.  I don't get it ???  Starting next week she's going to daycare full time and there is absolutely no way she is going to make it from 5:30am-1pm, I can only imagine what kind of disaster that would be.

Offline tathi-b

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 10:47:11 am »
Is it a case of going cold turkey and pushing her to the pm nap? We managed to take the AM nap out all together and she now naps from 12:30 but there were a few days of some being very creative with our morning activities to keep her going!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 10:49:26 am »
How long is the morning nap?
~Marta

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 11:00:34 am »
Would they not just let her have 10 mins say 10am to push her on, we have other problem daycare let them nap early then try and nap again at 12 ridiculous so he has mini cat naps all day x
Zoe

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 11:25:27 am »
Yep - that's my question. Go for 10-15min if you are letting her more than 20min - it might be the reason for EWU. If with a 10min catnap she still EW, she is ready for one nap and maybe it's worth to move the schedule for 8-8 so Nora can go for one nap at 1pm?
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 11:58:39 am »
8-8 meaning an 8am WU and 8pm BT?  Unfortunately that can't happen, she is going to get dropped off at daycare at 7:15am which means she needs to be up at 6:30am at the latest because we need to give her breakfast and get her dressed etc. before we leave.  Or just do that for the next few days?

Daycare can give her a short morning nap, I just think the chances of it happens are probably unlikely.  I tried the same with DS when he first started daycare and he refused it...who wants to go nap when none of the other kids are!? Lol! Only time will tell on that one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:06:21 pm by Lindsay27 »

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 12:44:12 pm »
Okay ladies, DD had a few introductory mornings at daycare this week, and she did fantastic (yay!), but no morning nap, which is totally fine.  She did 1-nap in the afternoons and slept between 2-2.5hrs and then BT slightly less than 4hrs later (7pm), which is all great...but still 5:45am WUs.  What the...?  Do you think it will just take some time to work itself out? I wouldn't think that 2/2.5hrs day sleep is too much on 1 nap?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 14:28:00 pm »
Seems totally fine, I would wait couple more days and see if she cope well.

How do you cope with going back to work?
~Marta

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2017, 14:39:44 pm »
I start back on Monday...currently pretending that Monday doesn't exist lol

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 14:46:39 pm »
It will be fine... being honest with F I couldn't wait going back to work. Sitting at home with such a little baby all the time was really not for me:( felt much better when did have to go to work, however it was difficult to leave the baby at the nursery.

Keeping fingers crossed for both of you:)!
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2017, 08:58:28 am »
She did 1-nap in the afternoons and slept between 2-2.5hrs and then BT slightly less than 4hrs later (7pm), which is all great...but still 5:45am WUs.  What the...?  Do you think it will just take some time to work itself out? I wouldn't think that 2/2.5hrs day sleep is too much on 1 nap?
I think just let it settle for a while and then re-evaluate.
If the early morning continues after a couple of weeks I'd look at moving BT later.  Assuming day care cant' move the nap later so it would just be a longer A time which is not ideal for all LOs of course but there might not be another option to to try.

Lovely news that she was happy there and amazing she had such a great sleep!
Good luck for Monday x

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2017, 11:19:02 am »
Ugh ladies, what the heck is going on!? She was up at 4:45am this morning!  I left her to settle herself but it wasn't happening and she was getting very loud and I was afraid she would wake DS, so I tried APing her and she would fall asleep, but never into a deep sleep, so I gave up at about 6am.  She is on the higher end in sleep needs so my gut tells me she's horribly OT.  I mean I am obviously going to need to do 2 naps today.