Author Topic: Short AM/long PM  (Read 7487 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Short AM/long PM
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 22:30:43 pm »
Oh dear. Do you think there is a build up of OT or maybe OT/OS from day care??

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 00:58:59 am »
I think yes, likely OS and OT build up.  She had a 2hr NW last night...of course on the night before I start work.  She's been sick with a cold and is cutting all 4 molars so everything is just kind of a mess right now.  Daycare said she did a 2.5hr afternoon nap today which is good, but she was miserable when we got home at 5pm, she was so exhausted.  So I can only pray she has a good night and that with good consistent afternoon naps she will come out of the OT, and I can maybe catch her up with 2 naps on the weekends if needed...though it might best to stay the path.  We just seem to be getting into an EBT/EW cycle now.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 19:47:43 pm »
Oh dear - that's so so hard.
Sorry all this is going on at once :(
hugs

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 18:49:44 pm »
Ugh this just keeps going from bad to worse, both yesterday and today she's done 1 x 30min nap.  She's at a point where she's just delirious she's so tired, but she won't sleep.  I tried to settle her both days and she's back asleep within minutes, but then a few mins later would wake again.  Today I tried staying with her until she was back in a deep sleep, and I swear she was, but 10mins later she was up.  I just don't even know what to do to battle this level of OT.  Both days I went for nap at 12 to try to be consistent with daycare.  I mean the rest of the week it's out of my hands, so there is nothing I can do about it now. My stress level with going back to work is through the roof and this is just not helping on any level :(

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 19:03:45 pm »
Oh dear :(

Is there any chance she could have a micro nap in the car on the way home from day care? even 10 mins?

Any chance you can stay with her throughout the weekend nap just to get her to sleep a longer nap and get through some of the OT?  Could you nap next to her or in the same room?  it is very very rare for my DS to want me in the room when he sleeps (he is more likely to say "can you go now so I can sleep please") but there has been a couple of times when he was younger that my presence actually helped hugely with increasing a nap length - in fact I remember I had to leave the room for him to go to sleep and then go back in 10 min later. He slept so much better hearing my breathing.

hugs

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 19:25:34 pm »
Ah i feel for you, we are in rubbish sleep land since starting nursery. I know that's if no help to you but just so you know your not alone. I've had to let DS2 nap on me thurs/fri as couldn't get more than 20 mins out of him otherwise x
Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 21:22:02 pm »
Ya I tried everything today, I tried bringing her in my bed and getting her to sleep with me and it didn't work, she would fall asleep on me in the rocking chair but as soon and she was back in the crib she wake...I should have just rocked her for her whole nap.  But because I am back to work nap time on weekends is my only time to accomplish anything at home, so I really just wanted her to sleep in her crib so I could do laundry, cleaning etc.  Daycare is only a 2min drive from home so it's not long enough for her to sleep, and honestly at the end of the day we are in a pretty big rush to get home so I can start dinner...I only have about 1.45hr between when I get home and when she needs to be in bed, so time for dinner/bath etc is extremely limited. 

I don't know, just feeling down a frustrated today...nothing got done, baby is overtired...it just feels like every aspect of life right now is failing and I can't get on top of it.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2017, 18:56:46 pm »
Oh dear, you will get on top of it though.
Be kind to yourself too, you have a lot on and I totally understand feeling like you can't or don't want to APOP a whole nap, I had to really prepare myself mentally before I could APOP a whole nap, I really wasn't a fan of being trapped in one position for 2 hrs!

hugs

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 00:49:31 am »
She's napping fine at daycare, so that's good.  I think maybe on the weekends we just don't have enough stimulation at home to keep her going until 12:30, and then she ends up OT.  Not sure what to do, I'll have to see how she is, we might have to do a short AM nap.  I really would like to just stick with the daycare routine to keep it consistent, but obviously not if it's going to give me silly-short naps.  I'm solo this weekend so I pray she doesn't pull any of this 30-min nap business.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2017, 20:05:30 pm »
You're right - you cannot emulate the environment and amount of social and mental activity at home that day care gives.
good luck for this weekend

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2017, 18:54:21 pm »
Oh for the love of God ladies, what is happening!? So last weekend we tried for a one nap day both Saturday and Sunday, both of which resulted in 1 x 30min nap that I couldn't resettle, so not exactly a success.  So today I thought...well, what we did last weekend didn't work, so this time I will try for a short AM/long PM.  She woke at 5:30am (and yes, still battling the EWs) and we did the morning nap at 9:20-9:50...I was going to wake her but she ended up waking on her own.  Attempted PM nap at 1:15pm, I went into her room and she fell asleep on me almost instantly (I was sitting putting on her sleep sac) but when I put her in the crib she woke up, so I tried to settle her with no luck, so I thought okay...I'll just leave her to it, and now an hour later she's still not sleep.  I tired going back in and APing but that didn't work and just got me frustrated, so I just left her again.

I don't understand how Mon-Fri she is napping 2.5hrs every day and at home she is basically not napping at all.  And it's not like she's not tired, I'm watching her on the monitor and she can barely even hold her head up. 

Anybody have any suggestions?

During the week her routine is roughly:
WU 5:30/6
Nap 12:30-3
BT 7

Again, last weekend I tried to do the nap at 12:30 the same as a daycare day and we got 30mins.  Gah! I just don't know, it feels like nothing is working :(

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 21:14:07 pm »
So, update...

She fell asleep at 2:30 and slept until 4:15.  So maybe she was UT at 1:15!?  She really didn't seem like it when I went to put her down initially...but I guess it's possible.  Anyone have any idea of what we should attempt tomorrow? Lol ::) I wish we could just replicate daycare!  (I also wish for no more EWs, but let's not get carried away here lol)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2017, 08:53:40 am »
This might sounds crazy but how about one very late nap?  The long nap at day care follows high stimulation where as the same time at home is going to be understandably less stimulating.  Mine did a 2-4 nap for ages (I forget the exact age but it was a long time) with 8pm BT and 6am WU - very very long  morning A but short afternoon A.
Maybe don't go quite as late as 2pm because she did that 2.30 nap after having had 30 min in the morning didn't she?  So, I don't know, 1.30pm but with no morning nap??  See if the additional hour gets her tired enough like at day care?

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2017, 10:55:02 am »
I completely get what you are saying, but honestly I don't think the the issue is that she's not tired, she's exhausted from these EWs. And yesterday when I tried at 1:15 she feel asleep immediately, she was literally upright while I was putting her sleep sac on and fell asleep like that, but then woke when I put her in the crib and then I think she was just so OT she couldn't settle.  She was shattered after she woke up despite the long nap. 5:30am-1:30pm...that's 8 hours, there is no way I can keep her awake for 8 hours, it would be different if she had a normal WU time.  And this morning she actually woke at 5:15am so that's even worse.

Ugh I just don't know.  When DS dropped to 1 nap he settled on 1 fairly easily, and I think she could too if she wasn't up at the crack of dawn every damn day.  She used to sleep until 6:30/45 and now I have a celebration if she makes it to 6.

Sorry I don't mean to shoot down suggestions, I just don't think I can keep her awake for 8+ hours.  I think at daycare she literally just crashes from being so tired, and while she's getting a good long PM nap there, the evenings are rough and she's shattered, but it is what it is.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2017, 18:58:14 pm »
So today has gone a bit better, we did a 30min nap from 9:45-10:15 and she's just gone down for her PM nap at 1:50.  So perhaps this can work but she needs more like a 3.5/45hr A between naps.  We'll see how long she sleeps!

Update: I woke her at 4! Yay!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 21:07:21 pm by Lindsay27 »