Author Topic: Am i doing this right?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Twomagpies

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 30, 2016, 22:56:23 pm »
Am trying to do shh pat with DS, he is 5 weeks old. He settles quickly when picked up a shh pat, and lives the white noise app i have too. But as soon as i put him down on his back he screams... i mean full on scream, immediately. Try to put him down still awake, but soon tires so that he closes his eyes as soon as i pick him up (bless). Tonight i have literally Picked him up, put him down what feels like a million times, eventually he settled but on his side... now what do i do? Try to ease him round so hes on his back?  ??? I dont want to wake him up😬

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Am i doing this right?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:39:11 am »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

Whilst it might not feel like you are making progress it does sound like you are doing brilliantly!
5 wks old is so tiny and of course he would rather be in your arms for the entire nap but through shush/pat and comforting him each time he cries out and then returning him to his cot you will be gradually teaching him that you are right there, that you will always return when he needs you and that it is safe to fall to sleep alone (eventually).  It is a gradual process though and Tracy said to keep expectations low.
What you might try is when you put him down to keep your hands firmly on him and continue to shush/pat for an additional 20 mins until he is in deep sleep. This was Tracy's advice for the early days.  If/when he screams but is so tired that he is falling to sleep the second you pick him up you might use firms hands so he feels you and pick him only slightly from the mattress rather than lifting all the way up into your arms - if he is not settling at all then of course do pick him right up, but sometimes the brief feeling of your hands and his own weightlessness as you lift him slightly may be enough to reassure him and you can gradually get him down in the cot.
If you want him to sleep on his back (I would as it is the SIDS guidance) then I would only briefly let him relax on his side as part of the soothing and aim to teach him to sleep on his back, it is not likely to happen immediately, these things take time.  I remember in those early days with mine I would sometimes let him sleep on his side or tummy if it was a nap and he might have been propped with a cushion  but I stayed with him throughout the nap at those times and kept a very close eye on him. For my sanity I just needed him to sleep sometimes! I didn't do this at night though he was always on his back at night.
By the way it is possible to pat on baby's hip/nappy area/tummy (not too hard) to give the patting sensation and comfort if you are finding it hard to pat on his back and then switch him to sleeping on his back.

hope this helps

Offline Twomagpies

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 12:23:26 pm »
Very helpful! Thanks for support. I managed to ease him round to flat on his back or nearly flat and he slept 3.5hrs😀😀
Now trying to do same for nap....

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Am i doing this right?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 12:27:41 pm »
Yay! Well done :)
At this age you win some you lose some but each successful sleep is a step towards independence.
I actually read my first BW book when my DS was just a few days younger than yours is now. I had been trying since day 1 to get him down to sleep with minimal help (gentle sleep training I suppose) and the BW book was exactly what I needed, someone had written this stuff down!! Mine was self soothing after a few more weeks - not every single nap was a success of course but I could really see the benefit :)