Author Topic: Moro Reflex - cat nap nightmare  (Read 1529 times)

Offline KBolton

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Moro Reflex - cat nap nightmare
« on: December 01, 2016, 17:27:07 pm »
I have been struggling with my 11 week old and cat napping. I started doing shush pat to try and encourage self settling and correct the problem. Shush pat has worked amazingly and sometimes her eyes close instantly but it's never failed to get her to drop off to sleep.  I keep patting until she goes into deep sleep (I've never stopped due to reflex kicking in). Every time at around 25-27minutes of sleep she startles awake, she has smaller startles earlier but I can normally pat and shush her through them. For long naps, I spend 1.5-2hrs going through the process 2-3times with her waking everytime.

In general once she's asleep, she sleeps really well and goes through the night. I'm absolutely exhausted as I never have any time to myself. In order to make sure she's not sleep deprived, I do a long walk during the day with her in a sling. All other naps are in her crib using shush pat. I try 2 times at night to shush pat her to sleep (she startles awake each time at the 25minute mark). On the third I pick her up and cuddle her tightly until 30minutes to override the startling. Then she sleeps for the night.

I do swaddle her as tightly as I can. I use a Muslin to hudini swaddle for the arms and use a Velcro swaddle on top. I've just ordered a swaddle pod. Does anyone have any tips or techniques to control the reflex?

Would be grateful for any help! I am trying not to do accidental parenting, but it's the only way I can get her into deep sleep.

Thanks,
Kirstin

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 18:19:16 pm »
  I saw this on TV and thought it was awesome.....

https://www.sleepingbaby.com/pages/how-the-zipadeezip-works

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Moro Reflex - cat nap nightmare
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 19:38:10 pm »
If she's tightly swaddled you are already doing all the right things really....I found the startle was worse if OT or in discomfort though.  What sort of A times is she doing?

Offline KBolton

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 03:59:17 am »
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm happy to try it all.

Her awake times are 1.15mins, I start wind down at 1hour and 5mins. I have tested alternative timings to check and this seems to work best. I will try bringing it forward again by 5minutes and see how it goes.

She does have quite a lot of wind and we do get quite a lot of crying around the witching hour. To treat it I use colicez, do a lot of burping and circle her legs. I also bought a sleep positioner to keep her head slightly elevated. This could be causing some discomfort. As she's nearly 3 months, I'm hoping the wind will sort itself out soon.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:56:16 pm by KBolton »

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 13:13:09 pm »
Good job on the A times :)  Yes wind/colic can still be an issue at this age.  Is she otherwise well though - no signs of reflux and normal poops?  Fingers crossed this unsettled phase will pass x