Author Topic: I need an earlier BT  (Read 1498 times)

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 01, 2016, 20:38:57 pm »
I think I messed up, I am obviously doing something wrong as my kids go to bed at 9:30pm  :-\

Ds1 is 3 years and 5 months old. He dropped his only nap about 2 months ago. He wakes up at 8am and goes to school 9 until 2. When he comes home he says he is tired but refuses his nap. If my husband takes him out after lunch on an errand or something he usually falls asleep in the car. But at home he never goes to sleep but sits quietly watching cartoons or something for a bit.
I put him to bed at 9:15/9:30 as I wait until I have put the baby to bed.

Ds2 is 18mo. He wakes usually around 9:00/9:30 am (I would rather keep this wake up,time as it means I don't have to take him on the school run as do works from home and is in the house with him) naps 3:15 till 5:30pm then bed 9:15. I can't do his nap earlier as I need to collect ds1 from school at 2 then I feed them both.

I think my routine is a bit of a mess and I really could do with an earlier BT....any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: I need an earlier BT
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 20:48:11 pm »
Hi there, i don't think it's a case of you've messed up Hun I think that if your keeping the same WU time then your BT is about right I'm afraid. On average most kids do a 12 hour day with no naps and 13 hours with naps. You could prob put your older LO to bed earlier on a no nap day?

DS1 for us has 6.30am WU and 7.30 BT and he's 4.5 it's been this way for a good year. DS2 is 10 months and has pretty similar day but of course with naps.
Zoe

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 20:59:31 pm »
Thanks haribo, so for ds1, if he wakes at 8am, can I get away with anything earlier than 9,30, as in you said he would be on a 12 hour day, can he go to bed at 8:30, or 9? On a no nap day which is very often.

And ds2, how long should he nap for, as what's the earliest I could get away with? 8:30/9 too?
I'm happy to try to tweak things if necessary, I just find myself with the kids awake quite late every night, for example ds1 I hear him chatting to himself in bed till 10pm often.
Thanks x

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 21:02:02 pm »
I meant to add, should i carry on with no nap for ds1? It's a good age to drop it completely right? Even I feel he looks tired after lunch?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 21:10:55 pm »
If he copes ok on no nap I'd prob drop it as you'll prob end up with later BT, I'd definately try 8-8.30pm if he's up at 8am it might be that he's getting OT and that's why he's still awake chatting. If he's tired after lunch just try some quiet time, chill out with some books or a tv programme.

With DS2 I think unless he's low sleep needs you'll struggle with an earlier BT as he still needs the nap but if you go for an earlier BT you might end up with UT NW!? You could may try having him up by 5pm then go for bit earlier BT 8.45? He seems like a good napper and night sleeper so poss is high sleep needs?
Zoe

Offline CattyPads

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 08:36:16 am »
Thank you again  :)

Yes I can't complain really as they are both good sleepers, it's just that sometimes I look at them running around the living room so late and I think I must be doing something wrong  :-\
Maybe I need to be stricter with my BT. So you think their A times are ok and both are getting enough sleep then?
Ds1 has been waking up earlier lately, I think maybe it could be OT?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 09:28:52 am »
It's still the same day length that most have it's just yours is later to bed later up where as we are earlier to bed but earlier up. Ultimately you do what routine works for your family. I'm sure when things like school starts for your 3.5 yr okdvhe will have an earlier BT and WU.

DS2 definitely seems to be getting plenty, had s nice long nap and a good 12 hour night, at that age my DS1 would only do 10.5/11 hour nights and a 2 hour nap. And DS1 prob you will need to judge his mood and how he goes with no naps if his WU is getting earlier then BT needs to be earlier to avoid OT kicking in x
Zoe