Author Topic: Bottle To Sippy Transition??  (Read 2488 times)

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 02, 2016, 18:11:14 pm »
Hi All,

My 19 month old still has 3 bottles/day...one when she wakes up (about 8 oz), one before nap (about 5-6oz) and one before bed (6-8 oz)...

I keep thinking about how I need to get her off the bottle and taking milk from a sippy cup but then I never do it and now she's 19 months!  Oops! 

She drinks from all kinds of cups during the day with water- regular cups, straw cups, sippy cups..

I've tried getting her a "special" sippy cup that is JUST for milk...but she has been refusing it before naptime/bedtime/etc and crying for "old bottle" and not having any milk if she doesn't get the bottle....

Any suggestions???

Thank you!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Bottle To Sippy Transition??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 18:49:06 pm »
I would just ditch all the bottles and switch to whatever cup she prefers. If there is no option to have a bottle at all she will soon adjust, it will take a few days and she will protest but stick to your guns and just offer the milk in which ever cup you choose. Your job is to offer, hers is to choose to drink or not.

I think ditching all bottles at the same time would be less confusing that keeping 1 or 2, you can talk about how she's a big girl etc, maybe let her choose a new special cup. I would let her help throw the bottles out, or the bottle fairy can take them (or Santa!) or something similar if you think she will understand so she is clear they are gone.

It won't harm her to not have milk at naps and bedtime, toddlers don't wake hungry at this age if they are eating in the day. If she is refusing milk you can up her dairy based foods, she is getting plenty more than she needs with the 3 bottles anyway.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 18:58:54 pm »
I agree with Laura, I would just get rid of the bottles and show you are sympathetic through the protests, cuddling.
You could split the teats and show her they are broken and can't be used any more.

If necessary you could put a straw in the usual bottle as she'd be drinking with a straw and then it's one more step to switch the bottle in a week or so to a cup and straw (I used a kids animal bottle for a long time, not a baby milk bottle but a straw bottle which I pulled the straw out of and used disposable straws each day.  The amount my DS took in his morning milk was kind of too big for a cup but it still broken the association with the baby bottle and sucking from a teat).

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 17:40:10 pm »
Thank you for your tips!  On Saturday afternoon, we "threw out" all her bottles and she put them each in a bag and said "bye bye bottles!".  So here we go!  But, she has refused milk in a sippy since.  Hasn't had ANY milk since Saturday morning.  We keep offering, she cries and refuses, and that's it.  I guess nothing more I can do until she gets used to it!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 17:57:52 pm »
Well done! ;D

Honestly, a few days without milk isn't going to harm her. Give her more dairy based foods like cheese, yoghurt etc and just keep offering the milk in a cup she'll get there!

Laura

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 18:18:12 pm »
Worth to know that she may refuse milk at all or just accept very little amount but in that case it usually means she didn't need the milk but she just liked the sucking-milk feeling. As the girls said it's fine at that age and just make sure she is drinking water instead and offer dairy products somewhere in the day. Her appetite may rise as she was full with milk until now and can have some place for food:).
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 21:30:11 pm »
Well done :)