Author Topic: Grown up bed or the one that grows with a toddler?  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Grown up bed or the one that grows with a toddler?
« on: December 04, 2016, 10:08:40 am »
Hi ladies,
I need you advice on something. I slowly started to notice that my 22mo is getting to big for his crib. When lies down legs straight he almost touches the bars with his hands up. I tried to hold on to it as long as I could (my goal was we give him grown up bed with a huge bow on his second birthday), but today he was VERY OT at 11am and he was histerical, he put his leg over the bars but I caught him in time.
I am worried he will do that again middle of the night before I get to his bedroom:( He transition into his room at 14mo. Very well too.

What do you think about these beds that grow with the child (thay sometimes have 2-3 lenghts)?
Do you think I should buy regular sized bed right away?

I would like the idea of lying beside him, and I am a little worried that we would have to transition 3 times rather than one.
On the other hand smaller bed would be a less of a change...

What is your experience?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Grown up bed or the one that grows with a toddler?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 12:11:26 pm »
Honestly I'd just go for the big bed.

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 13:19:05 pm »
If he's climbing over the bars he should not be in a cot with the sides up!

Why not get a full sized mattress for the floor, then he can't climb or fall out, and you can lie beside him  :)

The bed frame can be introduced later!

Expanding toddler beds are a waste of money, as they outgrow them quickly. My DS went from a cotbed with the side removed to a full size single bed at 3yo with no problems. He would have outgrown a toddler bed within a year  :o

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 13:24:54 pm »
My DS1 went from it ed with no sides to double bed at 3.5yrs and was fine. I'd go for full size and save your money.
Zoe

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 13:25:53 pm »
I would use a sleeping bag to keep him inside being honest. Don't think that his size is not right for 120cm bed. I personally wait for transition as I know we will face huge setttling problem when transitioned to a normal bed. And I would like to avoid it as much as I can.
~Marta

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 19:17:44 pm »
I'd just go for a big bed. We had a cot that transitioned into a bed... nice idea but DD refused to sleep in it. Said if she was big enough to sleep in a big girl bed she didn't want a baby one. She was actually so excited about her big bed that the transition was very easy. It also helped with bed time, I could actually fit into the bed and read her a book or even stay a while if she felt unsure, without any pain to my back or legs.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 22:32:57 pm »
I would go straight for the full size bed.  As someone else said you can start with a mattress on the floor if you are worried about falling, but they learn really fast how to stay in bed. If you got a full size bed I would just look for one that is quite low rather than very high.  Not only because it is less height to fall but easier for LO to get in and out.

Mine was in a cot bed so after the cot stage it was a toddler bed. At 4.5 he out grew it and moved directly to a double bed.  The only thing I didn't think about was the height of the bed. DS is not going to fall out, he is well accustomed to staying in the bed, but for a year he has had to pretty much take a running leap to get onto the bed!  I love him having a double, I get in and we snuggle together for BT reading and cuddles - cots should be that size lol

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 08:35:14 am »
Lol creations we have bedtime stories and cuddles plus is great if anyone is sick double beds make for a better night  :)
Zoe

Offline Bella89

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:44:50 am »
Thank you so much girls:)

That's what I thought - it's better to transition only once. I was thinking about getting a twin size bed to be honest. Just because of the size of his bedroom. I can just hope I will fit in there with him.

Right now we read in a tipi I made for him. It's just our part of the floor. I change him there as well. But it would be nice to get cozy in his bed.

I like the ides of the mattress on the floor. I suspect my hubby will be against it though. He will tell me his son is not a hobo. Oh... how I know my DH :p I will try to convince him though. It's a good idea, I would feel more comfortable with that :)

DS was always good with transitions BF->FF, FF->BF, pacifier, his own bedroom. I keep my fingers crossed he will like this change:)

On the safety note. I thought too that I should stick to the cot as long as I could, but it is just no longer safe. His cot has not bars that you can take out (some of them do), so it's not a good idea. But he is very cautious, always was. When he walks the stairs, learned to go down from the couch backwards by himself. I see now that when he fell from the cot and I caught him he is not trying that anymore:p But still, you can't be sure, right?

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 12:43:30 pm »
 ;D You can tell DH that a mattress on the floor is actually a Montessori idea for very young children - that's where I found it!

You could even make it extra cosy with the tipi as a sort of canopy - they feel safer in a slightly enclosed space, and many kids love their bed tents and canopies  :)

Good luck with the change  :-*