Author Topic: Starting solids 4.5 months  (Read 5723 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Starting solids 4.5 months
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 18:43:57 pm »
The guidelines on how much per day vary a little from country to country but Sarah is absolutely right that formula should not drop at this point at all.  The "minimum" really depends on what is normal for your own LO to take.
There is also some information here:
Milk intake - what you can expect between 6 months to 12months +
LO would be on 4 milk feeds in the day and possibly one at night. Any night feed might drop between now and 8 months-ish.  You wouldn't be looking to drop a day bottle for several months yet.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 15:05:56 pm »
Thank you! What about introducing nuts. They now recommend it as early as 6 months but with lo on purred fruits and veggies how do you give them nuts?

Offline creations

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 18:36:59 pm »
Whole nuts are a choke hazard so shouldn't be given to babies or young children.
You can find information about nuts and foods which should be avoided on this NHS weaning guide:
http://www.nhs.uk/ipgmedia/national/british%20nutrition%20foundation/assets/weaningyourbaby.pdf

ground nuts can be used in cooking - eg ground almonds used in sugar free pancakes, muffins and cupcakes or used in savoury dishes such as curries or used in a crumb coating for home made fish fingers or chicken bites
nut butters such as smooth peanut butter, smooth cashew butter, smooth almond butter can be included in cooking (sugar free pancakes, muffins or savoury dishes) or spread on toast fingers.

You can grind nuts in some of the more powerful blenders if you want to try other nuts and can't find them ground or as a nut butter in the shops.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 20:41:10 pm »
But do I just mix it into his puréed fruit?

Offline creations

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 09:13:15 am »
So long as you follow the guidance on not serving whole nuts it's really up to you how you serve food.
I'd probably wait until finger foods were introduced personally but then I never made purees.
Finger foods are advised to be introduced from 6 months.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 12:46:19 pm »
So should he be having about 4oz of food at each meal 2-3 meals per day? I usually do 2 meals sometimes offer just some fruit while big lo and I have lunch. But I usually do 4 tbsp cereal and 4 tbsp fruit or veggie in the morning and same at night. He doesn't always eat that much. It's a whole 4 oz jar in total which is 8 tbsp. When do I add more food as well as proteins meats yogurts? There's no guideline that I can get my hands on.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 14:25:54 pm »
Protein and meat are (in Canada at least) recommended to start right away at 6 months.  I would just make a stew with either stew beef/chicken/turkey and no-sodium broth (or water), and veggies (sweet potato, carrots, peas etc.) and then I would cook it until it was all super soft and puree.

I think the recommendation for yogurt is 9 months.

As for the nuts, my doctor just told me to smear peanut butter on a MumMum/baby cookie and let them suck it off.  It's a mess, and no joke the dog was chasing DD around for the rest of the day trying to lick her because she had peanut butter smeared in her hair lol

Offline creations

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 14:55:14 pm »
Guides for 6 month olds are more like 2-4 TEA SPOONS of solids not 4 tablespoons.
There is some information from the BW book here:
Weaning Guidelines from Secrets of the Baby Whisperer
and further information here:
Solids for 6-12months very useful Information
note in this information guidance amounts increase between 7-9 months so that by the end of this period the amount is between 2 table spoons and half a cup.

Guide lines all vary depending on where you are and which route you take towards weaning, whether the more traditional purée method or the BLW method.  In the UK guidance is to introduce finger foods at 6 months even if offering purees, also as pp said to introduce meat, fish, eggs (so long as there are no known allergies).
Some LOs eat more than others. With BLW especially the amount is guided by what LO wants to take.  other guidance on weaning also advises this though for example the UK NHS website says to follow babies lead on amounts so long as milk intake doesn't drop and with one meal at 6 months increasing to three meals around 8 months.  Yoghurt and other dairy products such as cheese can be introduced from 6 months but should be full fat, no low fat or reduced fat milks, yoghurt, or butter type spreads.

Where are you CV?  There must be some guides available for your country.  They do vary from country to country - really it is your decision on which you follow.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 03:45:53 am »
I'm in the US and what I've read is between 6-8 months some babies will be eating up to 8 oz between 2-3 meals with is 16 tbsps!

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 11:26:49 am »
For me I didn't really over analyze how many teaspoons or tablespoons mine were getting, I just fed them their solids and if it started to affect their milk intake, then I would scale back.  If not, then keep that same amount, yk?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 15:30:35 pm »
I agree but sometimes he just keeps eating lol and his milk intake is still in guidelines. So I just max out at 8 tbsp 2 times a day although today he ate 5

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 15:34:23 pm »
Sounds like he just has a nice healthy appetite! :)  If his milk is still within guidelines, then like you said, maybe just set a daily max. 

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 15:02:34 pm »
 We are having such trouble with constipation. I'm giving him prunes to help.  He's doing two meals and one snack about 5 tablespoons at the two meals and maybe three at the other.  Are usually give cereal with fruit and veggies at the two meals and just fruits or veggies at the third snack.  With the constipation he doesn't want to eat as much.

Offline creations

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 18:13:21 pm »
I would take him to see a doctor if the constipation isn't easily cleared with prunes. you don't want it going on long.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 18:27:08 pm »
I would probably cut the cereal too and just gives fruits and veggies...it is known to cause constipation.  And then you can maybe slowly re-introduce it once things get moving.